• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My favorite coin, by far, in today's (October 10th) Legend-Morphy auction

49 posts in this topic

I suspect that had he won it was going into his personal collection for a while. No sense in publishing what you paid for an important coin, in a public fashion, the price paid for a coin for sale.

I suspect that had he won it was going into his personal collection for a while. No sense in publishing what you paid for an important coin, in a public fashion, the price paid for a coin for sale.

I don't have a personal coin collection. I decided, when I went into business on my own again, that I didn't want to collect and deal in them at the same time. Had I won the coin, it would have been for my inventory. And most potential buyers could easily find out what I paid, even if I didn't disclose it.

Based on the Legend-Morphy posted price realized, the coin brought $125,000 hammer, plus the 15% buyer's premium.

I was pulling for you but I didn't think the 110K would win it. It would have been nice

MJ

Mark has been tremendously generous in sharing his knowledge here in this forum, but I don't grasp the logic for allowing us to know about his six-figure high bid while the sale was still running, please explain, thanks.

Mark has been tremendously generous in sharing his knowledge here in this forum, but I don't grasp the logic for allowing us to know about his six-figure high bid while the sale was still running, please explain, thanks.

At the time I started this thread, the bidding had already reached my maximum bid. And rightly or wrongly, I was comfortable with the thought that the thread would not result in another person outbidding me, when he wouldn't have done so, anyway.

I think that RockMyAmadeus won it---he was talking about it in another unrelated thread. Congrats, RMA! Nice coin.

I think he was using the coin as an example and did not really buy it.

I think that RockMyAmadeus won it---he was talking about it in another unrelated thread. Congrats, RMA! Nice coin.

That is correct. It is far above my means...for now. ;)

In my opinion, this thread should be moved to the money marketplace area as it seems to be soliciting a sale of a coin. Just my opinion.

Quite to the contrary---it is discussing a possible, prospective purchase, as we do all the time, on this area of the forum.

100% agreed well put by the way..................

and a nice way to calm a savage beast

In my opinion, this thread should be moved to the money marketplace area as it seems to be soliciting a sale of a coin. Just my opinion.

Quite to the contrary---it is discussing a possible, prospective purchase, as we do all the time, on this area of the forum.

100% agreed well put by the way..................

and a nice way to calm a savage beast

That is correct. It is far above my means...for now. ;)

OH, OK, sorry about that. Thanks for the clarification. ;)

Is this referred to as a matte finish? Almost looks like a plaster model.

Very intriguing piece. Good luck, you don't have to worry about me out bidding you :)

Was the Saint struck with this look? Or was it subjected to some sort of sand blasting after striking?

Is this referred to as a matte finish? Almost looks like a plaster model.

Very intriguing piece. Good luck, you don't have to worry about me out bidding you :)

Was the Saint struck with this look? Or was it subjected to some sort of sand blasting after striking?

Yes, many refer to these as "Matte Proof".

It is my understanding that the dies for these Proofs were sand-blasted by the Mint.

Sandblast proof coins were individually sandblasted after striking. The satin proofs were coins that were not sandblasted.

Otherwise, all production and treatment was identical.