• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

28 posts in this topic

Thought I'd introduce myself. I've been a comic collector and reptile enthusiast for over 40 years and familiar with the collecting dynamic. I had a small Whitman blue folder collection as a kid and dropped away for a LONG time. A friend who owns a comic shop brought in a couple of boxes of coins he was selling to fund the purchase of a comic collection and I was once again smitten. I've since discovered that quite a few of my internet comic collector friends also pursue coins. It's funny, some of my best friends I've never even met in person lol ....got to love that internet. What I want to do is similar to what I do with comics....I don't aspire to have them all, just some choice examples of my favorites. Any advice is appreciated......I'm a humble and gracious learner. One thing I see is that there seems to be a stigma associated with cleaned coins and I confess....I can't see the difference. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Welcome to the club!

.....thanks, friend ! How long do you think it will be before they're slabbing Higgs Boson's ? GOD BLESS....

Higgs Boson is MS70, we know that without slabbing! :insane:

Welcome!

lol .....yeah, and if the theories hold, they're actually included free with every purchase. GOD BLESS....

P.S. Oregon Trail, Norfolk, Indian Head Eagle, Seated Liberty Half, and (in my dreams) Draped Bust Dollar circa 1790's are at the top of my Christmas list at the moment. Unfortunately, no one loves me enough to spring for them :P

P.S. Oregon Trail, Norfolk, Indian Head Eagle, Seated Liberty Half, and (in my dreams) Draped Bust Dollar circa 1790's are at the top of my Christmas list at the moment. Unfortunately, no one loves me enough to spring for them :P

The only one of those on your list I own is the Seated Lib Half:

JPA928obverse.jpg

JPA928reverse.jpg

....I saw my first Oregon Trail on Ankur's site recently and was floored. The design is exquisite.....maybe my favorite coin of all.....although the Walking Liberty Half has been my favorite for years. I wish I could afford a World Class Collection but my Income brackett won't allow it. I suppose I adhere to the Meatloaf Philosophy...." 2 out of 3 ain't bad..." concerning Design Aesthetics vs. Scarcity vs. State of Preservation.....I go with Beauty and condition. I suppose I'm lucky to get any of them at all. I recently got a pretty 1916 Buffalo Head nickle and scrutinized it for a double die until one of my eyes popped out....no luck. That certainly is a beautiful coin above XF. GOD BLESS....

JPA928obverse.jpg

JPA928reverse.jpg

.....now THAT is a thing of beauty.GOD BLESS....

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Chris

Is that a guard snake?

Corn Snake, a.k.a. Red Rat Snake.......very docile, beautiful, and make an excellant pet. GOD BLESS....

Chris

Is that a guard snake?

Corn Snake, a.k.a. Red Rat Snake.......very docile, beautiful, and make an excellant pet. GOD BLESS....

I thought it was a coin dealer, at first glance, but I didn't see any mustard stains!! lol LOL I'm only joking, now..... ;)

JPA928obverse.jpg

JPA928reverse.jpg

And, a nice one at that!

Chris

Chris

Is that a guard snake?

I thought it was a coin dealer, at first glance, but I didn't see any mustard stains!! lol LOL I'm only joking, now..... ;)

:roflmao:

Chris and Jason.... showoffs with such beautiful stuff. Welcome to the boards Jim., hope to see more from you!!!

Hey, don't blame me. Blame Mark Feld! I bought it from him. Those are his photos that I stole.

Chris

Corn Snake, a.k.a. Red Rat Snake.......very docile, beautiful, and make an excellant pet.

Pretty, looks like he's getting ready to shed.

It seems as though you may be headed down the path of being a type collector. That is the area that I like to buy and like to handle for my clients. Take your time, look at many, many coins and attempt to look at known cleaned examples in-hand and with the aid of a more experienced numismatist so that the telltale signs of cleaning can be pointed out to you. Also, please feel free to ask as many questions as you want since it is a great way to learn.

Corn Snake, a.k.a. Red Rat Snake.......very docile, beautiful, and make an excellant pet.

Pretty, looks like he's getting ready to shed.

No, that was just my rush to take the photos.

I was coming out the breezeway door to go to the garage and this little fella was right below the doorsill. The breezeway is stamped concrete and pretty slick, so he couldn't get any traction. I went for my camera to take the shots freehand. After I finished, I picked him up, carried him about 75' across the stamped concrete driveway and let him go in the vacant lot next to us.

It was fortunate that I found him when I did because if he had made it to the driveway in the heat of the Florida sun, he would have been cooked.

Chris

Welcome!

There is definitely a stigma attached to cleaned coins, and it's important you learn to see the difference between a cleaned (or otherwise compromised) coin and one that's not. Start by simply looking at lots of coins. Ask a dealer to see some cleaned coins to compare with some that aren't cleaned. A good dealer will have no problem with this if they have samples of both, or will try and explain how to tell the difference if they don't (i.e., they will help you). A bad dealer will get defensive and wonder why you're accusing them of misrepresenting cleaned coins.

When you start buying coins, you will make mistakes. Everyone has, so don't think you won't. We call these mistakes "tuition". You can either pay a lot of tuition or pay a little, and the lessons will be approximately the same, so it's best to try to minimize the tuition you pay by no jumping in to expensive coins right away. I assume the same holds for comics.

Finally, here are my Oregon and Norfolk commems.

norfolk.jpg

oregon36.jpg