• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCI 1950 PF-63 CAM Franklin

14 posts in this topic

I took an inventory and a I found a long forgotten PCI 1950 PF-63 CAM Franklin in my inventory. It looks pretty good. Will NGC or PCGS accept this as an upgrade, or should I crack it and send in? I have three (3) PCGS 1950 PF-65 CAMS and this looks on par to them.

Suggestions?

If it's an early-90s PCI slab, chances are it will upgrade. I've cracked several PCI proofs of that era and most upgraded at PCGS. They seem to have been brutal on proofs back then. I don't know for certain, however, if standards for the cameo designation were the same.

I believe PCGS will still accept it as a crossover, but NGC will not. You can still submit it to either one as a regular submission and it will be cracked out and treated as a raw submission.

Yes, PCGS will accept it as a crossover, but if the holder has any scuffs or scratches, it's best to crack it out. The TPGs will err on the conservative side when determining crossover grade when the holder obscures the view of the coin.

A PF surface will disgrace very easily, so I can understand that grade. If you think it will upgrade, I wouldn't take any chances, I'd crack it out.

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

I think he already determined he wants to take a chance on the upgrade. His issue is whether he should submit it in the slab. I don't think I need to see a picture of the slab to answer that.

Thanks for the replies. I will submit to PCGS in the slab. To be clear, for it to cross-over it must also retain the CAM designation, correct?

Related question, can I request the cross regardless of grade (it can be lower than the PF-63) as long as it gets a CAM?

Let's face it, it is the CAM designation that gives PF Franklins value, which is why I do not think it is wise for me to crack it out.

What is your goal? save in collection, sell, give TPGs more money,increase value of your collection....

Most PCIs that I have seen in CAM will not make it at PCGS or NGC - could be because most of the ones that would already have.

If you can not tell yourself, find someone with experience on CAM and DCAM experience with Franklins, to personally view the coin.

It probably has some hairlines, so would you rather have PCGS/NGC proof 62 CAM than what you have?

What is your goal? save in collection, sell, give TPGs more money,increase value of your collection....

Most PCIs that I have seen in CAM will not make it at PCGS or NGC - could be because most of the ones that would already have.

If you can not tell yourself, find someone with experience on CAM and DCAM experience with Franklins, to personally view the coin.

It probably has some hairlines, so would you rather have PCGS/NGC proof 62 CAM than what you have?

I want to sell this coin, so obviously I want it in a PCGS or NGC holder if it qualifies for such.

I don't want/need four (4) 1950 PF-CAM Franklins in my collection. This PCI looks as good if not better than the PCGS PF-65 CAMs I have.

why not send it to NGC? Isn't it better that NGC actually crack it out and carefully look over the coin? When you look at a via a slab, they might miss some things.