• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What type of error is this?

19 posts in this topic

I have this cent with a funny side. It could be PMD, but looks like a split planchet texture on surface. The weight is correct at 3.25 grams. For first 2 pics, coin of interest is on left. The capped die strikes I have seen before are smoother. These Canadian coins are medal orientation. Got any ideas?

DSC05334.jpg

DSC05336.jpg

DSC05338.jpg

wow that is neat

and i dont know but an out of this world wild guess from me is a mint error brockage??

i dont know but i would love to know!!!!!!!!!!!!! best thread this month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on error experts get this answered the good bad and ugly!!

I don't think it can be a counter brockage, beacase if you look closely at the queens image it is facing in the correct direction. On a brockage it would be in the oppisite direction. If it is not PMD it could well be a lamination split. Has anyone else noticed the x scratched on the coin just right of center?

wheat

Given the normal weight, my first guess would be struck thru a split planchet/fully laminated blank. Would explain the striated pattern, and the fact it gives off the strike through vibe. And since a split planchet would be thin, wold explain the bleed-thru effect.

Next possibility would be struck thru cloth or something similar.

It is not a counterbrockage.

struck through cloth could be possible, but does not show any cloth or burlap charcteristics

struck through split planchet is a cool theory/idea

the queen portrait looks intact, but I do not see any signs of raised lettering on that side

Is it possible the strike is just not full, like the die did not come down fully? just enough to cause the outline? I don't know the procedure, but I reload ammo, and I have to set my dies at just the right height for a number of procedures. This could be during the calibration of that possibly, and instead of tossing the coin it got in the wrong bin. Just conjecture on my part

Is it possible the strike is just not full, like the die did not come down fully? just enough to cause the outline? I don't know the procedure, but I reload ammo, and I have to set my dies at just the right height for a number of procedures. This could be during the calibration of that possibly, and instead of tossing the coin it got in the wrong bin. Just conjecture on my part
It's not possible for one side of the coin to be well struck and the other side of the coin to be weakly struck.

How bout a "struck through"? Although it doesn't look like a normal struck thru grease or cloth or the sort, it's the only thing that makes sense with the coin being the proper weight and all.

probably a struck through something

a thin plastic? a thinner split planchet ?

that would be cool -> struck through split planchet