• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1892 Barber Quarter Type 1 Reverse

17 posts in this topic

I came across an NGC graded 1892-O Barber quarter that was clearly a type 1 reverse - the E in UNITED was partially and not almost fully covered by the wing tip - but the LABEL on it made no mention of it. :cool:

I have seen other NGC graded 1892 Barber Quarters clearly labeled "Type 1 Rev".

Wondering if this was a mistake by NGC or if the consignor was too cheap to pay the extra $12 Varieties grading fee? What is the protocol in this case? hm

Your best strategy is likely to just give NGC an email and ask this question. However, the reverse type of Barber quarters is not something that burns up numismatics with interest, so I would imagine that either NGC did not always attribute these on their holders or that the person who submitted the coin did not pay the extra amount to have it certified as such.

I'd guess that the submitter didn't pay the added $12 for the variety attribution because they may have been unaware but........NGC should have E-Mailed him/her to alert them of this fact. Lord knows they keep the coins long enough to hold it an extra day to make more money, do the right thing AND provide some customer service.

• Administrator

As mentioned by previous posters, the submitter simply chose not to pay the $12 attribution fee or didn't know the coin was a type 1. Unfortunately, we do not usually contact submitters for variety attribution, as it is their responsibility to request the service. If we were to call every submitter over every variety, we probably wouldn't have time to grade.

-Paul

PaulS -- Thanks for the clarification. I suspect the consignor had no idea it was a Type 1 Reverse, so did not request Variety, and it was not labeled as such. Up to the consignor to know what he is submitting.

I happen to think Type 1 reverses on 1892 P/1892 O/1892 S quarters are interesting because there are so few of them. None of the 1892 proofs exhibit the Type 1 Reverse as far as I know.

It may not "burn up numismatics with interest", as TomB suggested, but I find it an interesting anomaly.

Thanks to all for the replies. Appreciated.

:juggle:

As mentioned by previous posters, the submitter simply chose not to pay the $12 attribution fee or didn't know the coin was a type 1. Unfortunately, we do not usually contact submitters for variety attribution, as it is their responsibility to request the service. If we were to call every submitter over every variety, we probably wouldn't have time to grade.

-Paul

If somebody made a mistake on the cost of submission, that would be corrected, maybe the policy should be to correctly attribute the coins and correct the billing. It would only benefit the collector

• Administrator

-Paul

If somebody made a mistake on the cost of submission, that would be corrected, maybe the policy should be to correctly attribute the coins and correct the billing. It would only benefit the collector

The problem is that not everyone would be interested in such a service and therefore it would not benefit the collector. I'd go out on a limb and say most submitters don't care that much about varieties. If they get their submission back with a variety they didn't ask for and a bill for $12, I doubt they'd be very happy.

However, there are exceptions. If someone submits an extremely rare or valuable variety that the graders happen to notice, we will give them a call and ask if they want it noted on the holder for the $12 fee.

-Paul

"However, there are exceptions. If someone submits an extremely rare or valuable variety that the graders happen to notice, we will give them a call and ask if they want it noted on the holder for the $12 fee."

Bingo..........this is the customer service I'm talking about.

[font:Arial Black]It is my fondest wish that I get such a call from an alert NGC grader informing me my pedestrian submission is actually a six figure variety.[/font]

:whee:

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC has been recognizing the Type 1 and Type 2 reverse types since about 2000. As Paul noted, however, most submitters don't care about varieties and skip the VarietyPlus attribution service. This is especially true when there's no great premium attached to the variety.

[font:Arial Black]It is my fondest wish that I get such a call from an alert NGC grader informing me my pedestrian submission is actually a six figure variety.[/font]

:whee:

For 15$ more im sure they will make that call. It wont be true of your coins worth but its a service you can pay for. (Kind of like those fake paparrazzis you can order to meet you outside of restaurants and clubs that pretend youre famous)

Is the type 1 reverse actually rarer and worth more?

It has a minimal increase in value, less than 1% premium.

Its the S Type 2 that has a slight premium [ 5% add'l ]

Here's my old Type One "O"

e73c2847.jpg

Type Two "O"

f1ab6afb.jpg

Gleaned from various web pages:

On type I, the eagles’ wing covers only half of the E in UNITED while in type two, the eagle’s wing covers most of the “E”. Although Type I is more scarce, they are generally not priced separately.

The design hub used in 1892 was modified early during that first year to allow better stacking of the coins in a roll. So we have a type I and type II reverse for 1892 and type II from 1892-1900. In 1900, the hub was again modified slightly. These changes can all be seen in the placement of the eagle’s left wing.