• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, I'm Back

46 posts in this topic

I've had a few months sabbatical, and I've decided that it is time to return to these boards. I've missed you guys, and I've had a good bit of time to relax and think about where I want to take my collecting hobby. I've also had a good bit of time to think about how I deal with and respond to people. It is my hope and goal that I will be more patient and less obtrusive. I hope that I can contribute and share, and keep my ego out of things - something I have had difficulty with in the past. I am going to ease back into things and limit my posting for a bit, and catch up on things.

So, in light of all that, guess the grade on this Franklin.

IMG_9600_zps0c64082a.jpg

IMG_9601_zpsd165911e.jpg

Welcome back, Jason. time away from day to day pursuits is good for the mind and the spirit. I trust you have returned refreshed in mind and spirit.

I have truly missed your postings.

I'll go with MS63.

Carl

Welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your time off.

I have reached a point in collecting where I am very happy to own the coins I do and really only hope to add a handful more. So I too have been taking a bit of a break as the coins I am looking for do not along too often in the quality I want.

It is a good idea to take a break periodically. It makes you have more appreciation for the hobby. Or it does for me at least.

Ankur

Jason,

I'm glad to see your return. I have been very critical of some of your posts in the past, for what ever reason the way you interacted with some board members just rubbed me the wrong way. But I will say since your absence I have asked myself if the board is better off and I can tell you it is not, of late in fact I have struggled keeping interest and several posts I have found myself wondering what Physics would have to say. So welcome back and I for one will be much less critical of your posts.

Nick

Glad to see you're back.

As to the Franklin, the obv is nice but I don't really care for the spotty toning on the reverse. Other than that who cares what it grades.

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone!

The Franklin is a fantastic example of what a 53 in gem condition looks like - which is why it is so hard to find a gem 53. The fields are mostly clean and smooth, the strike is average, and the luster is average - which is about the best you can hope for on a 53. The spotty toning on the reverse is classic mint set toning, and is pretty light - it doesn't detract from the coin, but doesn't really add much.

The real kicker with this coin, however, is the bell lines. Finding a gem 53 with FBL is extremely hard to do. So when I saw this coin, I snapped it up (the sellers pictures were blurry, and concealed the marks on the bell). When I got it, I saw these huge gashes across the bell lines, and I knew immediately that it was unacceptable. It will be going back on Monday.

The grade? NGC MS-65 FBL. But the surprise: IT HAS A CAC STICKER!. Yet again, I have been disappointed by CAC. Not only do those gashes automatically preclude a FBL (I doubt few, if any, collectors would argue that), but in my opinion, they also downgrade the coin to a 64 (which is more up for debate). So, moral of the story - if you are going to buy a coin with lousy pictures, make sure you have a good return policy.

Welcome back Jason.

Needless to say, once I saw it was a '53 the first thing I looked at was the bell lines. IMO they are nicely struck. I have seen PLENTY of FBL graded coins from both NGC/PCGS that have major dings across the lines. However, given the price pop for '53's between FBL and non-FBL (or other date/mm that are tougher to find with FBL) I do notice that TPG's tend to be stricter on dings crossing the lines. FWIW my '53 has a (slight) ding across the bottom set of lines and is still (PCGS) FBL.

Sy, I'm ok with slight dings. Minor bumps and scratches don't automatically disqualify the coin for FBL. But the magnitude of the gashes on this coin do.

My '53 in 64FBL has a bit of a bump on the lines as well, but it's not nearly this severe.

Jason, my eyes aren't all that good, but do I see some strike doubling on it? If so, I was just wondering if something like that bothered you.

Just curious!

By the way, welcome back! It's good to have you around.

Chris

Chris, I don't see any strike doubling on this coin. It's probably a trick of the light and shadows. And no, minor strike doubling does not bother me on a 65 level coin. It would bother me on a 66 or higher, but it would be acceptable on a 65 (which isn't supposed to be a perfect coin).

And its good to be back. I've missed y'all.

Chris, I don't see any strike doubling on this coin. It's probably a trick of the light and shadows. And no, minor strike doubling does not bother me on a 65 level coin. It would bother me on a 66 or higher, but it would be acceptable on a 65 (which isn't supposed to be a perfect coin).

And its good to be back. I've missed y'all.

Well darn! That $uck$. Now I'd better call my eye doctor back and reschedule that appointment.

Chris