• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC crackouts

14 posts in this topic

Will CAC remove a coin from their database if it is cracked out? I believe NGC and PCGS do it if you return the slab to them. Along those lines does NGC and PCGS delete a crack out from their online verification?

No. The coin cert number will always be in the data base. If you just remove the sticker, for $3 they will put on another from the info in their files.

wheat

I do not believe CAC will automatically assign a new sticker to a coin that was stickered previously.

"7. Are the serial numbers of PCGS or NGC coins submitted to CAC for verification recorded? If so, are coins automatically rejected by CAC that have previously been submitted but were not stickered?

The serial numbers of all PCGS and NGC coins that are submitted to CAC are recorded at the time they are entered into the CAC system.

All PCGS or NGC coins that are submitted to CAC are reviewed for CAC verification whether they have previously been submitted to CAC or not. Occasionally a coin that has previously been rejected for CAC verification is reconsidered by CAC and stickered."

No. The coin cert number will always be in the data base. If you just remove the sticker, for $3 they will put on another from the info in their files.

wheat

I do not believe CAC will automatically assign a new sticker to a coin that was stickered previously.

"7. Are the serial numbers of PCGS or NGC coins submitted to CAC for verification recorded? If so, are coins automatically rejected by CAC that have previously been submitted but were not stickered?

The serial numbers of all PCGS and NGC coins that are submitted to CAC are recorded at the time they are entered into the CAC system.

All PCGS or NGC coins that are submitted to CAC are reviewed for CAC verification whether they have previously been submitted to CAC or not. Occasionally a coin that has previously been rejected for CAC verification is reconsidered by CAC and stickered."

If you send the coin back in for $3 they will ( in the origional holder)

wheat

It amazes me how complicated people on this forum make peoples simple questions. Clearly the op means the situation where a coin is cracked and resubmitted to the TPG where it would obviously get a new cert number(unless the pcgs secure kicks in for this situation but thats not most coins anyway). Answers talking about restickering for 3$ dont have anything to do with this question at all. geez

The answer should be yes

I agree. But how would CAC implement it? Not like every one that cracks coins out sends an FYI to CAC and theres no way for CAC to track them down. Those dead slab certs will just have to sit forever idle in the database.

It amazes me how complicated people on this forum make peoples simple questions. Clearly the op means the situation where a coin is cracked and resubmitted to the TPG where it would obviously get a new cert number(unless the pcgs secure kicks in for this situation but thats not most coins anyway). Answers talking about restickering for 3$ dont have anything to do with this question at all. geez

You were doing fine, until the "unless" part. Now its complicated.

The question is what coin are we talking about? A common coin without much competition for population figures at its grade level or a rare coin like an 1862 $20 Liberty graded AU55? Population figures are critical for a coin like that, including CAC population figures and there would be real motivation for updating their population figures. They have processed well over a billion dollars in coins at CAC, I would think updating CAC population figures due to provable CAC crackouts is entirely relative to the coin and with proof (and that is the key point, if you do not have proof they ain't going to remove the coin from their figures) .

I have never used the CAC pop reports to make a buying decision or price determination. I do not believe that they have evaluated a high enough percentage of the coins in my area of interest to be remotely useful.

I have never used the CAC pop reports to make a buying decision or price determination. I do not believe that they have evaluated a high enough percentage of the coins in my area of interest to be remotely useful.

Nor have I and I agree. Currently they serve as a good selling tool for sellers who wish to cite low population figures. That said, as is the case with other population reports, I think that it is useful for evaluating coins on a relative basis.

You were doing fine, until the "unless" part. Now its complicated.

Well I dont even know for sure whether PCGS generates new certs or uses old certs for coins that are in the secure plus program, but I read that the % of coins being submitted to s+ isnt very high compared the the standard service so if thats true then most coins would fit into the part outside of the "unless part".