• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1895-O Morgan ...What do ya think?

20 posts in this topic

Coin looks AU---55-58 range

Morgan dollars are not my series so I'm struggling with the grades. So please help me out and show me where you see the rub or wear. Thanks a bunch....Joe

Morgan dollars are not my series so I'm struggling with the grades. So please help me out and show me where you see the rub or wear. Thanks a bunch....Joe

In particular, most of Liberty's face and part of her neck look to have slight wear/rub. Additionally, the hair above her ear looks slightly worn (as opposed to merely weakly struck). And the color still looks off to me. I grade the coin AU58, shot AU55, with somewhat questionable color.

Going solely from the images alone, there appears to be rub on the jaw, upper cheek bone and the hair around the ear. I base this judgement on the color of those areas and they also appear to be a bit dull from friction. Significant amount of chatter that also appears to be after mint abrasions. IMHO.

It's a tough call for sure. In hand I would say this piece has a good shot at an ms grade. Just my opinion of course but going by the coin facts images this is my guess, but I'm sure no expert with this series. I sure do appreciate the all the help and I'll keep you all posted on the grade results.

Much better pictures - congrats :)

That being said I am thinking MS details ( Scratched / Cleaned )

Looks like a staple scratch on the obverse under the bonnet x2

I am also thinking cleaned because of the patching on the obverse more

clearly shown in the darker images.

It's a tough call for sure. In hand I would say this piece has a good shot at an ms grade. Just my opinion of course but going by the coin facts images this is my guess, but I'm sure no expert with this series. I sure do appreciate the all the help and I'll keep you all posted on the grade results.

Sometimes, taking a photograph is a BIG help----it exposes things that are not visible with the naked eye.

Mark, if it had a weak strike, would it still have the detail in the bottom of hair, ear, and the cotton leaves in hair?

Possibly. It's difficult for me to answer without viewing a specific example.

I don't see this as an MS coin either. Like Mark said, there appears to be evidence of circulation wear on her cheek, however light it may be.

According to QDB, the 95-O saw quite a bit of circulation, and an MS63 is pretty hard to find. It was one of the few coins that was not found in bags during the Treasury releases.

Chris