• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm about tired of selling on ebay!!!!

45 posts in this topic

I don't want to promote my consignment services publicly here, so will reply via PM later.
Mark, I greatly appreciate your reply and I would have to say was pleasantly surprised.

Ebay has been expensive for a VERY long time.

I don't agree with that. It became stupidly expensive only when they implemented "Pay Pal only". Before that, the overhead costs were, to my memory, only around 8% overall even on cheaper stuff.

I utterly do not miss eBay one bit, neither as a seller or buyer, and really don't understand why so many people still use it. I am actually doing better without ever using eBay, and probably should have left even sooner than I did.

I don't agree with that. It became stupidly expensive only when they implemented "Pay Pal only". Before that, the overhead costs were, to my memory, only around 8% overall even on cheaper stuff.

I utterly do not miss eBay one bit, neither as a seller or buyer, and really don't understand why so many people still use it. I am actually doing better without ever using eBay, and probably should have left even sooner than I did.

There are very few places you can sell RAW stuff online and expect to get any exposure. I use it when I need to build up some funds to buy something I am looking for.

It seems that my new trend is I sell on eBay to buy on TT and Gread Collections.

James,

Unless one does numismatic dealing full time, there is no better option for the sweetspot of around $300 to $2000 dollar items, certified by NGC and PCGS. If you get an ebay store, if your volume is moderate to high, ebay and PP provide discounts that bring the costs down well below 10%. And the exposure is huge. There is no other venue yet that can outdo ebay selling if done right. But it takes good service by the dealer, lots of work, and first class images, which of course, most ebay sellers have/do little of these three and hence its bad reputation. But there are some excellent sellers there and ebay provides value in their case.

Having said that, if full time dealing, the best route is to build a reputation like Mark Feld and have your own website for sure.

Best, HT

James, doesn't this depend on the definition of "a VERY long time?" Ebay made that move at least 3-4 years ago.

I utterly do not miss eBay one bit, neither as a seller or buyer, and really don't understand why so many people still use it.

As a buyer I use it because while there are lots of sources for your typical run of the mill coins, especially US coins, if you collect the off the mainstream material sources are a lot scarcer. I'm able to locate stuff on ebay that would take ages to find going to dealers or shows, if I could find it at all.

James, doesn't this depend on the definition of "a VERY long time?" Ebay made that move at least 3-4 years ago.

Sure, but eBay was affordable for many more years than the last 3 (let's say).

Does anyone else remember how all the old eBay pages had some sort of blurb that said something like "PayPal, no fees now, no fees ever"??

Does anyone else remember how all the old eBay pages had some sort of blurb that said something like "PayPal, no fees now, no fees ever"??

And our tax system was temporary when it was put into place

And our tax system was temporary when it was put into place

Oh how true! I can forgive/understand a private corporation doing this, a government I cannot.

That was Paypal's ad/claim not ebays and it was from back before ebay bought paypal. I don't remember if Paypal had instituted a fee before they were bought or not, but I do know they had them once the sale was completed.

It can cost a seller very easily 15% of sales with all the ebay / paypal fees even if they have a store. The question is can that same seller do better taking tables at shows considering the time, table fees, travel, meals, and lodging. Then he comes home to a wife who say "Well hon how much money did you make being gone all weekend like that?"

As someone who has been there done that (show circuit) the ebay costs while substantial may not be that bad considering the time and costs involved in doing shows. In addition, your inventory and your life is at risk at all times traveling to and from the show.

It can cost a seller very easily 15% of sales with all the ebay / paypal fees even if they have a store. The question is can that same seller do better taking tables at shows considering the time, table fees, travel, meals, and lodging. Then he comes home to a wife who say "Well hon how much money did you make being gone all weekend like that?"

As someone who has been there done that (show circuit) the ebay costs while substantial may not be that bad considering the time and costs involved in doing shows. In addition, your inventory and your life is at risk at all times traveling to and from the show.

I agree with you, but when you're just a small inconsistent seller, these fees can be seen as outrageous.