• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying and Selling with the On-line Auctions-

8 posts in this topic

Is there a Better Way than Ebay?

Another member posted a similar question on our Chat Board, and thought I'd follow up with my own.

I've dealt exclusively with Ebay for the last 15 years, not giving much thought to other auction houses. Unless it's a really hot item, My listings tend to hang there for quite a while because I can't afford to lose any money, listing it for the fair market value. They generally sell after all the "low ball" priced items are gone.

The auctions are generally a "Buyers" market, becuase it's the Seller who eats the cost of doing business!

At times after the auction close, i've been lucky and received offers on the closed items, and been able to make a large direct sale that way. Some by sending a Paypal Invoice or by Postal Money Order for the total $$$.

It's that total transaction fee percentage that'll make you faint, Ebay/Paypal scalps me for about 12-14% on every sale, and when your sale is for several Thousand Bucks, in addition to insured shipping costs- Just Add it up- Wow!

Is there a better, and more cost-effective route for peddling our wares?http://www.ebay.com/sch/brokedaddy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p2047675

Hey Daddy, as was explained to me last week after the 3 CAC laden coins sold, if you open a store they don't scalp you as bad, especially on large items, about half what you are currently paying. I think if you contact GreatToning he can probably explain it to you better than I. Good luck

The rough thing most people are experiencing right now is a lull in the coin market. FMV is pretty much dictated by what people are paying and not necessarily what the coins is worth.

With that in mind, most of the numbers you see on the NGC price guide are inflated and unrealistic. Most people are paying pretty close to grey right now and if that is going to continue the best bet is to just take your coins to a show and meet with people on the bourse floor. That way you aren't splitting your take with eBay.

On more expensive coins it may even be worth traveling some distance to get to a larger show. I have had pretty good luck moving coins out of my collection in that fashion.

I am working on getting a E-Bay store started with the gold for cash store so soon will have the savings from having a store listed and easier purchases for others using pay pal to sell my extra coins. Starting at 0 purchases will be tough but will change quickly. Hope to have it up and running by the end of next week.

The rough thing most people are experiencing right now is a lull in the coin market. FMV is pretty much dictated by what people are paying and not necessarily what the coins is worth.

With that in mind, most of the numbers you see on the NGC price guide are inflated and unrealistic. Most people are paying pretty close to grey right now and if that is going to continue the best bet is to just take your coins to a show and meet with people on the bourse floor. That way you aren't splitting your take with eBay.

On more expensive coins it may even be worth traveling some distance to get to a larger show. I have had pretty good luck moving coins out of my collection in that fashion.

I wish I could find whereI could buy close to grey sheet. The high grade key and semi key coins in my set are way above grey sheet and are actually setting new price records. In the last long beach auction I got 2 out of 24 bids and they were not low bids either. Several of the lincolns I bid on were north of $2500 and several set new price record for the coin in grade.

wheat

George, Thanks for your thoughts. I am aware of the benefits of having an Ebay Store, and if I was a volume seller I would certainly go that route. However with the few sales that I have, the monthly "rent" offsets any discount on transaction fees.

I have been looking for relationships with companies that would let me sell their items, and drop-ship to the my customer, but not much luck so far. Of course dealers won't divulge their source to avoid competition. I only attract distributors like "Doba.com" that does have multiple lines of merchandise, but also charge you for this service. Of course most of their stuff is also available elsewhere online at much lower prices, so What's the Use?.

I guess I'm not really not a very saavy businessman. (Poor Me!)