• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your opinion -- Ugliest Classic Commem

23 posts in this topic

I was scanning through my Redbook after contracting to buy a toned BTW commem this evening, and couldn't help but notice that most of the commem designs are extremely busy or just plain ugly.

So, what is, in your opinion, the ugliest classic commem out there (Shriver wins modern hands down)?

I have to agree with Greg that of the classic commems the George Washington Carver takes the cake for ugly. Very uninspired, plus they made a lot of them! Of the moderns, though, the Jackie Robinson $5 is to me VASTLY uglier than the Shriver dollar. Disgracefully ugly. Expensively ugly! laugh.gif

Hoot

I don't mind the $5 Jackie Robinson, at least considering the logic that went behind it. I still say Shriver is uglier, by far. Ever see a bag full of them? Enough to scar new collectors for life!!

I dunno Keith, I'd take a bag of Shrivers over a JR$5 any day for "purddy". Something about the way they mounted his head on the coin, makes me think of a big game hunt. At least the Shriver dollar redeems itself a bit on the reverse. The JR$5 needed something more than the motto "Legacy of Courage" slapped on a flat baseball!

laugh.gif Hoot

BRDude had a BTW with red and green on the reverse that he showed me at the TNA show this year that inspired me to go and seek colored commems. This was my first, now 49 more to go. laugh.gif

I'm a Type collector, not a series collector. I leave that to the people who get stuck on one design. Who wants 15 Arkansas pieces, or 16 Boone pieces.

Now, granted, 13 Texas half dollars would look good laugh.gif