• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this toning??

19 posts in this topic

I picked up a couple Morgans in Ebay. The seller I got them from offers all of his silver coins with "rainbow toning". They do look good but I am curious as to whether he might be doing something to the coins to get the coloring on them since all his coins seem to be toned this way. The toning is all different degrees but looks the same to me as to the effect, if you understand what I mean. Any of you experts out there shed any light on this? I am not sure the rainbow toning comes out too good in the pics I took and posted. Thanks for your input.

129682.jpg.57ce1393a420cb95b5d6e2c6a1f9476a.jpg

129684.jpg.3a84217bb88743c4e1f59c5a9294cca4.jpg

129685.jpg.6160aa00f49b160f905730395fe9eb54.jpg

129686.jpg.1b6c7a8ada850fbfa156bf75c67ad196.jpg

The first coin hits me as cleaned and retoned, and I'm thinking the same on the second. The toning on both appears artificial to me. However, the pictures are not the best.

-Paul

They look like scans to me and appear polished. Hopefully you only paid melt.

EDIT: In all honesty both appear to be a buffed AU pieces. You mentioned all of his coins have the same toning, that alone should tell you something. I would stick to slabbed pieces by NGC, PCGS, ANACS, SEGS.

Yes, I know the pictures did not come out very well and don't show the toning as well as looking at the real deal. Sorry about that. If I can get a better shot soon I'll change them out.

Looks polished and baked to me. Lance.
Hate to say it.... although I really don't, but everyone who's said it was cleaned, polished or artificial toned is absolutely right. I'd see if I could get my money back unless you paid spot for the coins.

FYI, There are sellers now on EBay that admit the coins they have are AT. Some use electricity, and other processes, prob the ones previously mentioned. I have no problem with it, as long as they stick to bullion type coins that basically sell for spot. Heck they can sell all the Eagles they want like that. I do wish they would not delve into the collectable coins like these Morgans and ruin what might be a valuable coin. I contacted a couple a couple of months ago asking about the process, we had a thread about it then. To each his own, they are pretty.

Truth be told, I won't buy anything from him anymore. I might be able to return them but it's been a little while since I got them so I will probably just eat it and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I see he is showing the coins AT now saying they are exposed to an electrical field. So I learn from my mistakes and stick to what I am buying now, which is nice clean coins that I have an interest in and not ones toned like his. And thanks for all the comments. This is a good place to learn.

You should definitely be able to get a refund. If he sold you the coins as NT, and now he says they're AT, you're entitled to a full refund.

-Paul

You should definitely be able to get a refund. If he sold you the coins as NT, and now he says they're AT, you're entitled to a full refund.

-Paul

What he said was the seller is now showing new coins for sale as AT . He said it was " a while" since he purchased the coins in question so basically he probably will not be able to return them unless the seller is a nice guy. ( Doubt it )