• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP- one for the subset

12 posts in this topic

I took the opportunity to add this rather macabre piece to my token collection. I've been fascinated with unique pieces to whet my appetite whilst I wait for coins for my main collecting discipline to come in. When this 1859 John Brown remeberance token became available in was a no brainer. This is a rather scarce piece in this condition. It's a MS 65 DPL. I can't find one on record that is finer. As CRO John described.........."this piece is something of a numismatic freak of nature". It's a nice companion for my Jefferson Davis token. A tip of the hat to Broadstruck who was kind enough to provide some great background info while I was researching this piece. I also appreciate John's patience with this deal as I have been traveling like a fool lately. MJ

Image by MG and I know this HAD to be a challenging coin to capture.

1859-mg03557A.jpg

1859-mg03557Ar.jpg

Jefferson Davis token. MS 63.

1861-mg01879comp.jpg

I don't like the Jefferson Davis token at all!!! He wasn't a traitor!

I don't like the James Brown token either. I don't think a murderer of whole families,husbands, wives, and children, in Kansas should be honored!

Although, both tokens do look good!

I don't like the Jefferson Davis token at all!!! He wasn't a traitor!

I don't like the James Brown token either. I don't think a murderer of whole families,husbands, wives, and children, in Kansas should be honored!

Although, both tokens do look good!

Remember they won.They look great, but like BN1 I just could not own one.

wheat

For the historical record, it was Kansas Territory, not Kansas. Kansas didn't become a state until 1861, 2 years after John Brown was dead. By the way, James Brown is someone completely different. ;)

On another note, I hope you don't own any Liberia coins featuring George Bush, as he is responsible for the death of far more families, husbands, wives, and children than John Brown.

Kind regards from the progressive north! :)

For the historical record, it was Kansas Territory, not Kansas. Kansas didn't become a state until 1861, 2 years after John Brown was dead. By the way, James Brown is someone completely different. ;)

On another note, I hope you don't own any Liberia coins featuring George Bush, as he is responsible for the death of far more families, husbands, wives, and children than John Brown.

Kind regards from the progressive north! :)

Stand firmly by your cannon

Let ball and grape shot fly

Trust in God and Davis,

But keep your powder dry.

I don't ask any pardon for anything we done

wheat

MJ,

Very cool token -- John Brown is apparently still a polarizing figure 150 years afterward. One of the most frightening and bizarre depictions is that of John Brown in the Kansas capitol -- bible in one hand, gun in the other.

Thanks for sharing.

Very polarizing and understandable. As a life long student of the Civil War (pre and post as well) and find the pieces fascinating.

MJ