• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1949 Mint Set posted by Six Mile Rick

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC blew me out of the water on 1 coin

Friends, The grades were just as I thought on most.

The 5c got a nice grade of MS66

The no mint mark 10c got a grade of MS66

The S mint mint mark 10c got a grade of MS67

The 1949-D dime that I thought would be a keeper was the only bad choice as it came back MS64??? I must have really missed something.

Over-All not a bad investment on grading and I sure hope the Roosevelt submission does a little better.

I leave you with a pic of the dime that graded a MS64??

11997.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

The dime looks a little rough around the edges. Would this be the primary cause for the MS64 grade? I like the partial toning. Is it on the Obverse, too?

Have fun in what you are doing.

Jack

Jack, The edges are very nice. what you are seeing in the pic is the deteriorated cardboard from a 40 year or so mint set holder. I am shocked!! But will search when I get it back and learn from the mistake.

The obverse is toned but not as nice as it is the dirty looking toning you get on quite a few older pieces. The same on the 1c as there were two large black spots on the obverse. I should have sent the two into NCS first but there was no thinking on that at the time. I can always do a retry and include NCS in the future. I will post a pic of the obverse in the new holder when I get it this weekend or next week.

Lehigh--I was hoping for a star on the nickle but overall happy with the MS66. We already knew the steps were out. Not a bad nickle, I like the gold color.

Later---Rick

Thanks L1ncolnF4n, The obverse is nice and I believe we are staring at the 64 side. The word UNITED seems to have been destroyed when it was sealed by the automatic roller that scraped through the top of the word. I'll be able to check it soon as they are in transit now. I will just sell this one and probably trade the other 2 nicer grade and better looking toners for FTs.

Later---Rick

Hey Rick;

The strike looks a somewhat "weak" to me (flame and upper part of torch) but it could be reflection. The rim looks off as well. Photo's are hard to evaluate. Just IMO

later,

Mike