• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ABSOLUTELY -----PUZZLED posted by G G's Keepers

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A hard one to figure out

Friends, I had a conversation with another coin bud today concerning a few dimes I purchased back in June and recieved in July. As I looked at the coins the one coin that got me thinking was the 1953-S as I saw it again in pics.

Why and How would a D end up in the flame of the torch??????

11987.jpg

See more journals by G G's Keepers

All I have figured is;

If there was to be a change made and the models were used in San Francisco mint. They may have added a letter for each model--- A, B, C, D, .

Or a letter for the finish view from the cleaning of a Die (for inspection)------ Very Puzzling.

Hey Rick,

I think it is called a "Dropped Letter" error. Grease/debris fills a letter or number on the die and eventually it dislodges and magically appears. - d

The D looks too perfectly formed to be grease debris. It's also much smaller than a mint mark. If that's not enough argument against the grease debris theory I don't think that there is any way that grease debris could fall off a die in Denver and magically appear in San Francisco. I have no idea what the D represents or why it is there but it is very interesting.

Hey Doug, Dropped letter won't work as the D is too small. Maybe the mint did a prototype - test of some sort for the mint mark. The D is not pressed into the coin but it is raised and that is the confusion I'm left with.

Its a code that Ovaltine puts out. You need to order the decipher ring like Ralphie had in A Christmas Story. But I can already tell you it will say, "Drink more Ovaltine"

lol

Mike