• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you puposely take a loss for something you want worse?

61 posts in this topic

if its a trade, maybe they will throw in some other stuff to sweeten the deal, life jackets, ski's, couple kegs, etc
That would be good. That stuff adds up also.

Unless they are getting another boat, they won't need them. It's always the little things that cost the most.....don't even get me started on what the real cost of golf is

I know, I have a nice set of Ping G-15's. Were'nt cheap. lol

Now lets talk mebership fees, cart fees, balls, tees, collared shirts, shoes, drivers, wedges, umbrella, ball retriever, putter, mine was 110 7-8 yrs ago.....lessons....keep going?..........beer

You have to change your avatar now..............and put flames on the boat....love the bike....................did he sweeten the deal?

Not really. I was gonna take a loss on another boat but traded for this one instead. I was selling the bike for $8,000 and this boat, I'm told, is worth about $11,000. I figured I came out ok.

Sure, have definitely done so. Usually it is in pursuit of another coin that I really want, so something has to go to acquire it. When this happens, I don't always lose money, but I generally want to raise the cash quickly so it has to be priced right.

I wish I had a great coin budget where I would not have to release prior purchases back into the wild, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Nice Bobby, honestly, not sure which I'd rather have but I hope you get to enjoy!

Thanks! I still have my Harley and won't be getting rid of that. I just haven't rode the one I traded much at all and thought I'd get something different to enjoy.

I meant what kind of bike did you trade, sorry. The keeper is probably much more comfortable.

The trade was a 2003 Ultima Rigid Custom. I paid $8,000 for it about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I haven't rode it more than 3 times this year so I figured why not trade for something I'll use more and the whole family can enjoy.

You have to change your avatar now..............and put flames on the boat....love the bike....................did he sweeten the deal?

Not really. I was gonna take a loss on another boat but traded for this one instead. I was selling the bike for $8,000 and this boat, I'm told, is worth about $11,000. I figured I came out ok.

Is that a 225hp Merc? The outboard cost more than ask on the bike. I think you made a great deal Bobby. I am sure you will get lots of enjoyment out of that. (thumbs u

Bobby---That bike was awesome! (thumbs u I'm afraid that I would have kept it instead. :cool:

You know that BOATs are money pits and they stand for (break out another thousand)! $$ ;)

I'm just kidding, boats can be alot of fun too, though, so If you're happy, then I'm glad for you my friend. :grin:

I hear ya both. Yep a 225 merc Irvin. It runs great. Has some issues with gauges but the other guy is paying to have those fixed. Gonna do a few cosmetic things myself then trade for a ski boat.

I'm not in a coin situation but I thought I would post the question anyway. Would you or have you puposely taken a finacial loss on a coin or peticular item to get something you wanted more?
Absolutely! (thumbs u

Well in case anyone was wondering, this was my deal that I did. I traded this bike for this boat. Thanks for all ya'lls comments!!

2003UltimaChopperRgtSide.jpg

Boat1.jpg

Awesome! :applause:

Gonna do a few cosmetic things myself

Like put the flames on? Right?

No flames. lol. Gonna put a stereo system in it, reupholster the seats. Replace the plastic dash panels with wood. A little custom stuff that will help get a better ski boat.

Yup, to me it's all about the hobby. I'm not a dealer and I don't follow the pricing guides much. I do know what I'm doing and it's collecting coins for enjoyment.

Yup, to me it's all about the hobby. I'm not a dealer and I don't follow the pricing guides much. I do know what I'm doing and it's collecting coins for enjoyment.

That is the best Post of this Thread.

Eastern Wahington State should be proud to be represented here.

"Sometimes you need to take the Nickel instead of the Dime."

I have taken a loss on a coin in order to buy/or get by trade a nicer, more appealing coin several times. Both as an emerging dealer and as a collector.

My situation/experience was I took losses on three coins in order to buy one coin which was much better. I traded a guy two MS65 Washington Quarters and a MS63 Peace dollar for an AU58 1929D WLH. I only did so because:

1- The coin I got had higher value than the three coins combined

2- The coin was much easier to sell

3- The losses of the three coins was only a combined $15.00. I knew I would make that back in the sale of the rec'd coin.

The guy had it for several years, he knew what it was worth but he was working on a run of NGC 1930-1959 MS65 Washington Quarters so he didn't mind parting with the WLH because it got him two coins he needed.

Sadly, he didn't take a loss but neither did I when I sold the WLH.

I like the question the OP asked, more members should post stuff like this more often.

-Dave