• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An hour of shooting, this was the result.

17 posts in this topic

If you add diffusion, you'll spread out the light a little more, but have less contrast (i.e., less flash in the luster). See if this is what you want.

Take a look at this thread from back in April, and you can see the effects of different lighting techniques.

If you add diffusion, you'll spread out the light a little more, but have less contrast (i.e., less flash in the luster). See if this is what you want.

Take a look at this thread from back in April, and you can see the effects of different lighting techniques.

Diffusion you mean a piece of white paper covering the light? I have one lamp with a white piece of paper taped to it, and one just the raw bulb. The coin was difficult to capture, very frustrating. Old ANACS slab, raw would have been much easier.

Diffusion you mean a piece of white paper covering the light? I have one lamp with a white piece of paper taped to it, and one just the raw bulb. The coin was difficult to capture, very frustrating. Old ANACS slab, raw would have been much easier.

Yes. The pictures of the lamps later in the thread I linked show increasing amounts of diffusion.

Yes. The pictures of the lamps later in the thread I linked show increasing amounts of diffusion.

How many lamps do you use MD? I'm using 2 and the cam is about 18" above the coin. Thought of maybe using small Halogen lights, mounted to the tripod legs to help in lighting. My adjustable 24" lamps sometimes have trouble getting the light where I want it. The legs of the tripod screw it up at times. Trial n error, keep on shooting,

Scott

While it is true that you could have used a diffuser to soften the light I think the photo is excellent and really shows off the coin.

Still some dark spots, just could not get the light where I wanted without the glare. I gave it my best. Thoughts?
Diffusion is an option. Another tactic, if you shoot "raw", is to adjust "highlights" to retrieve data hidden behind the glare.

Lance.