• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New purchase

15 posts in this topic

Very nice! I have one in my collection as well. Whats very cool about these is that they were printed on a cotton like substance, and not just simple paper.

1/6 dollar?...First time I have ever laid eyes on such a numismatic item.

Very cool....tell us more.

Thanks for sharing

OP

Indeed a very neat item do tell us more about it. :)

With all due respect I think that your piece is a contemporary counterfeit which might make it more valuable. Here is a genuine example of the February 17, 1776 Resolution of the Continental Congress.

TwoThirdsFront.jpg

TwoThirdsBack.jpg

There is a story about this series and the payment of salaries to the Continental soldiers. When one of the paydays came the paymaster was sent bails of this series of fractional notes to pay the soldiers. As a result the troops that stacks of these low denomination notes which did not sit that well.

These pieces were supposed to have been backed by Spanish Milled Dollars. The design was based upon symbolism devised by Benjamin Franklin, and Franklin's old firm, Hall & Sellers, printed them.

that would suck

Not necessarily.

Contemporary counterfeits are a part of history. If you really wanted to own the real thing, which I usually do, it does suck, but it doesn't mean that the item is worthless. Modern counterfeits do suck big time. That is why I hate what the Chinese are doing so much.

What I meant was if it is counterfeit, it sucks, based on my feeling he was showing us the real thing. You dont think there would have been different notes for different denominations?

I don't know whether or not it is counterfeit, but it is very worn. I picked it up ATS for $45. The number and signature are not visible.

There were 4 different "Fugio" denominations.

cc19-comp.jpg

cc-20-comp.jpg

cc-21-comp.jpg

cc-22-comp.jpg

But to complete the "set" you need to add one of these.........

1787-Fugio.jpg

and one of these............

1776-Continental-dollar.jpg