• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Certify my OGP eagles

10 posts in this topic

Let say i buy a 2012 s reverse proof san francisco SAE on the secondary market, then i buy a Making American History Coin and Currency Set , remove the SAE put it in a ogp holder from the san francisco set and send them both in for a san francisco eagle set, acording to ngc all i have to do is "Remove the coins from the US Mint packaging and submit them raw in the capsules. Do not send the Mint packaging." so then i have a 2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof set certified by NGC right? I thought the whole point in sending these coins in original packaging was so collectors could have the real thing and not a put together, and how could someone keep track, guess will never know.

Yes, you could go to the extra expense of performing that devious maneuver, for your own amusement and gratification, but since the coins involved are identical, we'd ultimately have no way of verifying that you had technically tried to cheat. And furthermore, why would we be obliged to believe you, since your integrity will have already been compromised by self incriminating announcements?

As i have already bought my sets certified i have no intension of decieving anybody, i just wanted to make a point about what could be done with the coins and keeping the numbers straight, as i know some of you collectors like to know the final outcome of how many have been certified and to what grade they are, otherwise why would NGC publish the facts

Let say i buy a 2012 s reverse proof san francisco SAE on the secondary market, then i buy a Making American History Coin and Currency Set , remove the SAE put it in a ogp holder from the san francisco set and send them both in for a san francisco eagle set, acording to ngc all i have to do is "Remove the coins from the US Mint packaging and submit them raw in the capsules. Do not send the Mint packaging." so then i have a 2012 American Eagle San Francisco Two-Coin Silver Proof set certified by NGC right? I thought the whole point in sending these coins in original packaging was so collectors could have the real thing and not a put together, and how could someone keep track, guess will never know.

Actually you do have a valid point, someone could easily maneuver to put together a set like that, whether or not it was practical or profitable, but since the regular S proof coins themselves are presumably completely indistinguishable, regardless of source, does it really matter? The number of sets is of course limited by the reverse proofs.

A more common scenario will be that when it is already too late to get replacements from the mint for inferior merchandise, anybody with a faulty regular proof could seek to get a substitute from someone breaking up their Making American History Set, someone who maybe only wants to keep the banknote.

How would it be self-incriminating if nobody knew the person who did it?
As an example, I did not "sign off" my last Post. How could you tell it was me? Respectfully, John Curlis

We'd never know, John, especially if you disguised yourself by pretending to be disrespectful.

the raw capsules have laser inscribed sequential serial numbers so that the TPGs and the mint can tell the production date, purchase date, purchaser,- and if the current owner is trying to pull one over on them.

Laser readers are required to see these numbers.