• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inventory

22 posts in this topic

I use Excel as do quite a few other folks. The ANA has a recommended insurance partner and this is Hugh Wood, Inc. They are easy to work with and you can get dealer, collector or hybrid policies.

I only have maybe 200 coins so I keep a paper list. I include the following info:

My Inventory Number (inventory number includes buy price, example, 244557768)

In my example, the first 2 numbers are meaningless and the next 2,3 are buy price. So in my example the price was either $45 or $455, I'm comfortable I can remember which. This way the price is always on the coin if I'm shopping it.

Coin type

Denomination

Grade

TPG

Slab #

Buy price

Buy date

Sell Price

Sell date

You do this as a business? I used to manage a shoe store, our number had a 3 digit brand id then 1000 was added to cost so a shoe that cost 55.00 had a 4 digit number of 6500 I could always know what the company paid for it to maintain my margins. As a manager I was given a lot of authority to set price, something you don't see in large franchises. You would be surprised as would a lot of people when you discuss FMV for coins how much markup there is in shoes, For example, if I had a pair of Air Jordans Listed for 100 they cost me about 60. Some had even higher markups. Some more than doubled or tripled. Not so much here apparently

I put together a MS Access file and used VBA to get bells and whistles.

However, that was more for learning VBA than anything for me. Just use Excel.

Insurance: Hugh Wood

jom

I use excel. I have tried programs designed for coin and paper money inventorying, but I couldn't stand them.

What I do is make seperate spreadsheet pages for:

Coins purchased. Has date of purchase and cost

Coins sold. Has date of sale, amount sold for and profit or loss.

Bullion bought/sold

Business related expenses. (Ebay shipping costs, Table fees at shows etc.)

collectibles purchased

collectibles sold

I keep my inventory number system fairly simple. I do "A001-A100" and once I get to "A100" I start "B001" and so on.

On the coins sold page, I put the inventory # of the coin or item, what I sold it for and if I made a profit or if I sold it for less than I paid for it. If I made profit, I put how much I made on it under "gain", if I lost money on it, I put how much I lost under, well, "loss."

I have my coins and collectibles on a Personal Articles Policy with my insurance. I had to provide my agent with details on every single, coin. For Slabbed coins, I keep a spreadsheet of just what the label says. (example: 1909VDB cent XF45 NGC 111000111-001)

IMO, if you (O.P.) have a bunch of coins, or if you plan of regularly buying coins, keep a record of every purchase.

-Dave

I saw some programs online, and I liked that they supposedly linked to the TPG's for values, but they were more than I am willing to pay. thanks for the info

If I remember correctly you recently stated you are military, have you looked into USAA Valuable Property Protection insurance? That is what I use as a addon to my renters insurance. You have to send them a list of what you are insuring and the values (I use NGC price guides) but their rates are not bad. I also have my guns, wifes camera, and wifes wedding ring on that policy.

I saw some programs online, and I liked that they supposedly linked to the TPG's for values, but they were more than I am willing to pay. thanks for the info

If you are a paid member of NGC, you can use their "Collection Manager" free of charge.

Chris

If you are a paid member of NGC, you can use their "Collection Manager" free of charge.

Chris

Don't even have to be a paid member, I have a couple competitive sets listed.