• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If coins could talk... What would this one say??

27 posts in this topic

I'm a choppy dollar. I've traveled alot and seen it all----good, bad and ugly.

Although chop marks are supposed to hurt the value of a TD; I can't help but find them interesting.

The chop at 9:00 on the obverse might get the coin in a genuine holder. Trade dollars like this are uber-cool. Here is one that I have that is also a CC-mint, though that might be tough to tell.

BTBJ1875CCP15.jpg

I'm a choppy dollar. I've traveled alot and seen it all----good, bad and ugly.

Although chop marks are supposed to hurt the value of a TD; I can't help but find them interesting.

That makes two of us... Only reason I bought the coin was the marks.

The chop at 9:00 on the obverse might get the coin in a genuine holder. Trade dollars like this are uber-cool. Here is one that I have that is also a CC-mint, though that might be tough to tell.

BTBJ1875CCP15.jpg

Sweet coin Tom... Mine is Pcgs vf30 already.

BTBJ1875CCP15.jpg

Sweet coin Tom... Mine is Pcgs vf30 already.

Tom, your '75-CC has at least two "embossed chops." These are generally scarcer and thus more prized in the chopmark collecting community.

Nice looking chopmarked coin. Interesting none of us have any of the same chop marks.

I can see two common characters used as chops on your '74-CC and Tom's '75-CC. I don't know how they'd be pronounced in any Chinese dialect, but in Japanese one is "jou" ("above" or "up") and the other is "sai" ("ability" or "talent").

No, there are fakes with chopmarks as well. Usually modern fakes. Sometimes made with the chops and sometimes made and then the chops added afterward.