• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Bust Half realizes $23,650 at ANA!

15 posts in this topic

Offered by Sheridan Downey at ANA in an old NGC no-line fattie. CAC Green Sticker. Are you the new owner? hm

Here's the description:

1814/3 O.101a R.2 NGC MS65 CAC. Here is the most important coin in the sale, the finest I have handled over the past 30 years. Housed in an early generation NGC holder this coin is a true gem, an opinion shared by CAC. Our consignor purchased it early this year with the mistaken understanding that it was the NGC MS 65 that Heritage sold for $23,000 in its 2008 ANA sale, lot 1677. That coin had been offered for sale in 2007 by Alpine Numismatics.

The present offering is a different coin and is in fact a distinctly nicer specimen than the Alpine/Heritage coin. The latter piece, while lovely, was marred by a number of planchet imperfections that showed as spots on the coin. I did some sleuthing and learned that in 2007 and 2008 PCGS declined to “cross” the Alpine/Heritage coin, suggesting that it had questionable toning.

The coin offered here appears to have been off the market for many years. I could find no record of it appearing at auction prior to 2012. The eye appeal of the coin is stunning. Richly iridescent hues of blue, gold, turquoise are the predominant colors. The surfaces are immaculate. To be sure, the coin was coined from clashed and broken dies. Nonetheless, as it approaches its 200th birthday, it remains essentially “as struck.” I suppose that the Kaufman coin, NGC MS 66, which sold for $48,875 in Stack’s June 2010 sale will retain its claim to #1 Condition Census. However, this 1814/3 may be better struck, with greater detail at the drapery lines and folds in the cap. In all events, the successful bidder will know that he has captured a coin for the ages.

Est. $19,000 and up.

Better images available here

cbh.jpg

If the images are accurate, it appears to be an extraordinary coin.
The images are 100% accurate. The coin is even more stunning in hand.

Lance.

If the images are accurate, it appears to be an extraordinary coin.
The images are 100% accurate. The coin is even more stunning in hand.

Lance.

Yeah I had the pleasure of viewing that coin myself last week. Hard to describe how exceptional that coin is.