• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RED BOOK

19 posts in this topic

Does the redbook give good info on grading coins, or is there something better out there?

You mean you collect coins and you don't own a Red Book? It's obligatory to own a Red Book, otherwise you can't collect coins! You have to give all your coins back!

Photograde is very disapointing especially for beginners. It should be renamed to LowQualityBlackandWhiteillustrationsGrade because there are no photos. I reccomend PCGS' Official Guide to Grading and Counterfeit Detection. I have all 3 along with the ANA guide and the PCGS book is the clear cut best one. Get the first edition as was reccomended to me by many knowledable posters when I asked.

Photograde is very disapointing especially for beginners. It should be renamed to LowQualityBlackandWhiteillustrationsGrade because there are no photos.

Actually Photograde was a great book IF you had the first edition from 1970 The photo quality in the hard bound book is better than in the later softbound versions.

I also find that black and white photos are better for learning to grade unless you have actual photographs on photo paper, not printed images. They tend to be sharper and clearer.

Photograde is very disapointing especially for beginners. It should be renamed to LowQualityBlackandWhiteillustrationsGrade because there are no photos. I reccomend PCGS' Official Guide to Grading and Counterfeit Detection. I have all 3 along with the ANA guide and the PCGS book is the clear cut best one. Get the first edition as was reccomended to me by many knowledable posters when I asked.

I have a photograde and It has been very usefull!

...and there are some collectors that build a TPG grading set for the

occasion. of course this method may require somewhat deep pockets

unless you're only concerned with certain denominations. just a thought. :popcorn:

The Red Book only provides barely fundamental information about grading. I'd choose the ANA Grading Guide. Every collector who spends more than a couple bucks on coins should have one.

Does the redbook give good info on grading coins, or is there something better out there?

You mean you collect coins and you don't own a Red Book? It's obligatory to own a Red Book, otherwise you can't collect coins! You have to give all your coins back!

I guess I jumped in with both feet, put the cart ahead of the horse etc.......I don't recall where I got all my coins to return them, so since you called me on it if you just pm me your address I'll send them

I guess I jumped in with both feet, put the cart ahead of the horse etc.......I don't recall where I got all my coins to return them, so since you called me on it if you just pm me your address I'll send them

lol, but I'll except you from that requirement. It's my generous nature. :)

You might also consider this one as well:

51yCjWKtuNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I will, thanks