• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Images from my new camera

19 posts in this topic

Nice pics, RWW.

I am in the market for a new camera and don't quite know what to get. I have always used SLR's because of the range of lenses, but the price on the new digital one's--YIKES.

That looks like a nice coin, RWW. As for me, I have never really embraced digital and still use the manual camera I have from the 1970s most of the time.

That may be the first nicely toned Monroe I've ever seen. Most seem to be splotchy brown or dipped out.

Nice pics too. smile.gif

Superb RWW! That Monroe is the best I've ever seen, in person or in a photo. Just a nicke strike, no disctracting marks, and superb toning, especially for that issue. And the Frankie is beautiful! You did a great job capturing the bell lines. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Nice coin, nice pic too. Too bad it's a commem. I guess that would explain why Greg asked about it...

Do not sell it to him, as he would only dip it to try to enhance the luster a bit for a higher grade and max out the coin for greed!

laugh.gif

EVP

Here's a photo taken with my Kodak DX6490. While I have lots to learn, I like the images it produces.

By positioning the light source at 2:00 for the common and 10:00 for the franklin you will create a better 3D image effect with the slight shadows along the lines of the profiles. See attachment!

Leo

529844-M99DPL6steps2.JPG.c47c1d18b69ad53e68503d516b1ba7cf.JPG

Thanks and nice picture.

The photos I took were outside with the sun behind me. At this point I haven't invested in the lights yet. I just wanted to play with the camera in natural light to see the results.

My next challenge, other than light sources, is taking shots of slabbed coins. Note that I only posted raw images as everything I took of coins in slabs sucked pretty badly. blush.gif So, what's the secret to getting good pictures of them? Jeremy and Hoot, I've admired your photos for quite some time - how do you do it?

Thanks and nice picture.

The photos I took were outside with the sun behind me. At this point I haven't invested in the lights yet. I just wanted to play with the camera in natural light to see the results.

My next challenge, other than light sources, is taking shots of slabbed coins. Note that I only posted raw images as everything I took of coins in slabs sucked pretty badly. blush.gif So, what's the secret to getting good pictures of them? Jeremy and Hoot, I've admired your photos for quite some time - how do you do it?

All I can say is, it takes alot of practice and patience, in all kinds of light. Reading up on macro photography helps! But everyone has their perfected methods and most here have been taking the shots longer than I have. The right camera is also a must!

Leo

Jeremy and Hoot, I've admired your photos for quite some time - how do you do it?

RWW - I think the pics you've posted exceed the quality of mine by miles. Leo's advice on studying macro photography is good. Many of the diffuse light filtering techniques of wildflower photography are probably very applicable.

Keep it up Roger, and get that Monroe submitted! cool.gif

Hoot

Jeremy and Hoot, I've admired your photos for quite some time - how do you do it?
First off, a lot of practice--I got my camera in May, 2003, and have taken over 5800 pictures since then... and I just keep playing with new things, and I always investigate ideas that I hear about.

Also, this may help you--I'm going to try to get it published when I go to the ANA tomorrow--I'll be stopping by at the editors' office of Numismatist.

Take Your Best Shot

Jeremy

Super article Jeremy! You are an excellent writer. Good subject, and well thought out.

Another good image editing program that's cheap (not free) is CompuPic: www.photodex.com. Their standard edition is plenty to do stuff like cropping, rotating the image, etc.

Hoot

Jeremy -

Thanks for sharing. There's some great stuff in your article and I wish you luck in getting it published. You've given me lots of ideas and I greatly appreciate it. I'm curious - how do you capture cameos and deep cameos? I've messed a little bit with that and have yet to hit on the right way to do it.