• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How's this for a Toning premium?

50 posts in this topic

10x price guide isnt exactly a big premium. I have paid 100+X price guide. In this particular case however it is a very large premium. I was watching that coin. Seller did very well IMO.

Amazing premium for a less that amazing coin.

To each their own but I don't find that coin even remotely appealing. I remember that bag-toned PD someone here bought (can't remember who or who sold it...Shane maybe?) but that one was FAR nicer...not even close.

jom

I can think of many other coins I would buy for that money. Im sorry to say, but I cant see much potential in this coin at the price.

I think the premium was partly due to the gorgeous color, and partly due to the fact that the coin looked under-graded - to me, at least.

I can think of many other coins I would buy for that money. Im sorry to say, but I cant see much potential in this coin at the price.

Believe it or not, some people actually buy coins because they like or love them, and without regard as to how much "potential" there is "the price".

10x price guide isnt exactly a big premium. I have paid 100+X price guide. In this particular case however it is a very large premium. I was watching that coin. Seller did very well IMO.

100x on a what value coin? If thats true then that is the highest premium, stated that way, I have heard of anyone paying.

For this coin with a 650$ pg value or whatever it is, I think 13x is WAY too high. Gorgeous coin but to pay twice the next grade up money for it, considering its a fairly steep jump, seems insane. Maybe because the S mints are tougher to find with nice toning?

Believe it or not, some people actually buy coins because they like or love them, and without regard as to how much "potential" there is "the price".

Thats all fine and dandy Mark, but loving a coin can only go so far if you're the only one that loves it at that price level.

In any case, congrats to to the buyer for lovely piece of art.

On a related note, I have a few toned Peace dollars that I plan to send to Heritage.

To each their own but I don't find that coin even remotely appealing. I remember that bag-toned PD someone here bought (can't remember who or who sold it...Shane maybe?) but that one was FAR nicer...not even close.

jom

I agree with you jom as to me that obverse is like radioactive...

Heritage needs to include a complimentary shovel to the winner of this beast.

jom

Presumably you guys have viewed the coin in hand, or wouldn't have reached such definitive conclusions about it. :baiting:

Mark,

Did you view it in hand? Did it buy you dinner? ;)

When it showed up for dinner did your jaw drop hm

As it was completely drop dead gorgeous in person compared to it's internet coin dating site profile pic :D

Mark,

Did you view it in hand? Did it buy you dinner? ;)

Yes, Ankur, I viewed it in hand. Otherwise I wouldn't have commented as I did previously, in saying:

"I think the premium was partly due to the gorgeous color, and partly due to the fact that the coin looked under-graded - to me, at least."

It bought me nothing, other than a view of a great looking coin.

Just playing devil's advocate for a minute. If the coin actually resided in an MS65 holder with a price guide value of $4,200, would we still be talking about how the buyer is buried in this coin?

1923-SPeaceDollar.jpg

jom

Presumably you guys have viewed the coin in hand, or wouldn't have reached such definitive conclusions about it. :baiting:

Nope...only going by the photos. What else can ya do? I can only say that if the coin looks like that in hand (IMPLIED in my post) I wouldn't be interested. Even if it was really a 65 in a 64+ holder.

That obviously doesn't mean someone else can't love the coin of course or think it's worthy of bid at a higher grade.

jom

The coin has several things going for it including that it is in PCGS plastic and has a CAC sticker as well as the fact that it has the + grade and this one-point grade range has an enormous increase in value. It also is a Peace dollar, which is a type of coin that does not typically come with thick, pure color. It may very well grade out as MS65 and then the premium would be approximately 2X for a coin that likely would be near impossible to replace for the collector. I would not pay what this coin went for at auction, but I don't think it nearly as bad as some appear to think.

I think that coin is easily in the top 10% of toned p$ ive seen. But based on the history ive seen of coins graded in the 65 range not getting the 5 and 10x premiums you see of coins in the 50-400$ range in the 63 and 64 grade slots it still surprising. And also the CAC sticker sealing it in the 64 graded somewhat affects my opinion that its not a 65.

Tom,

I understand the coin may be a 65, but it's in a newer holder, and I'm sure PCGS would remember it. As you said, not every peace dollar looks like this. So I somehow doubt it would upgrade but I've seen stranger things happen.

As for CAC, from what I understand, they do not look at the plus in the grade.

I think that coin is easily in the top 10% of toned p$ ive seen. But based on the history ive seen of coins graded in the 65 range not getting the 5 and 10x premiums you see of coins in the 50-400$ range in the 63 and 64 grade slots it still surprising. And also the CAC sticker sealing it in the 64 graded somewhat affects my opinion that its not a 65.

You guys have entered the toned P$ scene to late... It the mid 1980's to early 90's there was no real demand for these coins. You'd find them in dealers wholesale boxes and if there was a premium it was like $15 max.

Isnt the purely technical defintion that the CAC sticker places the coin in the upper 50% for the grade while the + places it in the top 10%? The plus would be a subset of the sticker, in purely ideal terms.

You guys have entered the toned P$ scene to late... It the mid 1980's to early 90's there was no real demand for these coins. You'd find them in dealers wholesale boxes and if there was a premium it was like $15 max.

They didnt even exist in the 60s :roflmao:

I'd always rather over pay for an attractive coin that get a decent deal on a above average coin. There are a finite number of super attractive coins. Just my opinion.

MJ

I'd always rather over pay for an attractive coin that get a decent deal on a above average coin. There are a finite number of super attractive coins. Just my opinion.

MJ

I was just going to say that.... This thread reminds me of that talk we had about that MS67 Cincinnati down in Dearborn (thumbs u

MJ

I was just going to say that.... This thread reminds me of that talk we had about that MS67 Cincinnati down in Dearborn (thumbs u

You are killing me. MJ

Tom,

I understand the coin may be a 65, but it's in a newer holder, and I'm sure PCGS would remember it. As you said, not every peace dollar looks like this. So I somehow doubt it would upgrade but I've seen stranger things happen.

As for CAC, from what I understand, they do not look at the plus in the grade.

I have seen many easily identifiable/recognizable coins upgrade. And in some cases, very little time had passed between submissions.