• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I called a major dealer today to inquire about an item on their site

95 posts in this topic

C2C does follow the forums as when some things were mentioned in a thread ATS they instantly made changes to their site.

I somehow I doubt they will change their business mantra based on what board members say and think. It appears their reputation is already tarnished well beyond any possible repair.

Just spoke with them.

They raised their price from $15,000 to $24,950 overnight. I'm passing.

You better buy that bad boy now. Imagine how much more it will appreciate in three months!!!!! doh!

Just spoke with them.

They raised their price from $15,000 to $24,950 overnight

Does that include shipping?

MJ

I gotta tell you, I just started looking at coins, I don't know what I expected, but geesh, that was a letdown, I'm not doubting the value or rarity but my expectations were a little higher.

What does that coin usually go for? A 10k increase is a lot

Good question. I don't know the series well, but isn't that coin actually pretty expensive? Our dislike for C2C aside, do we really have a huge problem with the coin's current price?

EVP

Hi Ankur,

I highly suspected it was them when you said Columbia. I was at a small show in Hagerstown a few years back and a dealer friend of mine showed me a complete Merc dime set in a green album that was just full of polished junk in G-F if it could be graded at all.

He bought it from a lady that said her hubby paid $7k for it before he died. I think he paid her about silver for it. When I asked who sold it to the hubby he said, "Our friend in Columbia!"

Dan

Dan,

Your story brings me back to to a thread I started last month. Which would you rather have? Extensive knowledge or extensive wealth? It seems a fool and his money are quickly departed. Can you imagine if someone who was very wealthy but knew nothing about coins had them as a consultant and bought from them?

Scary thought.

Scary, indeed! Such skulduggery, such chicanery!

When I first started spending real money (but not 7k real!), I guess I was fortunate not to have encountered someone like them. I've since sold off my earliest purchases, and ended up doing ok.

Fortunately, I met someone at work fairly soon who was a much more experienced coin collector. He helped me keep the cost of tuition at Coin University to a minimum.

I feel bad for that person who bought those Mercs. I wonder how was the 16d?

EVP

Being in a PCGS slab, there would be alot lower chance of being overgraded and cleaned than a random purchase from them.

How do you define a major dealer? Someone who advertises heavily in major magazines?

Being in a PCGS slab, there would be alot lower chance of being overgraded and cleaned than a random purchase from them.

How do you define a major dealer? Someone who advertises heavily in major magazines?

What coin was he looking at exactly? You make reference to a PCGS slab, but I most have overlooked the post where he stated that it was certified.

Every business – every human activity – has its top-tier, middle and bottom-feeders. They all live off a different part of the economy.

Hi Ankur,

I highly suspected it was them when you said Columbia. I was at a small show in Hagerstown a few years back and a dealer friend of mine showed me a complete Merc dime set in a green album that was just full of polished junk in G-F if it could be graded at all.

He bought it from a lady that said her hubby paid $7k for it before he died. I think he paid her about silver for it. When I asked who sold it to the hubby he said, "Our friend in Columbia!"

Dan

That's so sad. If only they'd thought to shop around. :(

Just an observation EVP, but why do I get the feeling if I looked at a Websters for skulduggery and chicanery I would see a reference to you?

Dan,

Your story brings me back to to a thread I started last month. Which would you rather have? Extensive knowledge or extensive wealth? It seems a fool and his money are quickly departed. Can you imagine if someone who was very wealthy but knew nothing about coins had them as a consultant and bought from them?

Scary thought.

Yes, this can be a tough hobby just as a hobby. But when you choose to make an investment of numismatic material I think you'd want to be asking more than one dealer/expert for advice. And of course reading books!

Dan

When I first started spending real money (but not 7k real!), I guess I was fortunate not to have encountered someone like them. I've since sold off my earliest purchases, and ended up doing ok.

Fortunately, I met someone at work fairly soon who was a much more experienced coin collector. He helped me keep the cost of tuition at Coin University to a minimum.

I feel bad for that person who bought those Mercs. I wonder how was the 16d?

EVP

It was awhile ago but all the coins looked identical in color, pure white. But when you looked at them closely they looked like they were all treated with steel wool. Really sad. I didn't even think to look at the 16-d as I was searching for the 21 and 21-d at the time and these didn't merit further inspection.

Dan

That wasn't funny the first time and it still isn't.

Yeah, it was.

:)

jom

They advertise in Coin World. I have seen their HUGE advertisements for as long as I can remember but many of their coins are raw and they sell high volume and in bulk, so that was always a red flag for me. They were way to good to be true.

I've never heard of them. I'm glad. MJ

About ten years ago, I purchased an excellent gold coin from them which was from the Pittman collection. I had no problems and would not rule out buying from them again.

Am I supposed to avoid them because Ankur misfired? If that were the case, there would few dealers left to work with. ;)

About ten years ago, I purchased an excellent gold coin from them which was from the Pittman collection. I had no problems and would not rule out buying from them again.

Am I supposed to avoid them because Ankur misfired? If that were the case, there would few dealers left to work with. ;)

I'd not buy RAW from them but, if they had a certified coin that I needed, then I would likely do it. The only problem with that is that the images are so small and blurry that they make it nearly impossible to tell anything about the coin. The prices are MOSTLY in line or MAYBE a bit on the high side. Expect to pay retail for sure for an 'average' coin for the issue.

I am not certain how the OP misfired. I don't interpret not having a chance to load a weapon as misfiring. What appears to have happened, per the OP, is a full retreat by the opposing force, rendering the need for weapons useless.

10 years is not that long or difficult a time to maintain a respectable and trusted reputation among collectors.

It is a life time to recover ,though, when that reputation is not respectable or trusted by many collectors.

I don't know anything about gold; however, I would think that any coin with a Pittman pedigree that is as advertised would be a reasonably comfortable purchase, regardless of the seller.

The OP does not seem to be denigrating the Dealer because of a coin purchased at his own peril. He appears to be questioning the reason(s) the Dealer refused to sell the coin publicly advertised at the price publicly advertised, and for a reasonable opportunity to examine the coin prior to purchase, including reviewing the coin at the Dealer location specified by the Dealer, if that was the only way to view before purchase. Even then, the OP did not rule out buying the coin if he could not see it before hand. It is only when the Dealer suddenly publicly increased the cost by 10K that the OP questioned the Dealer's reputation.

Am I to not to publicly question buying from such a Dealer, or refrain from publicly asking the thoughts of fellow collectors simply because one fellow collector had a no problem purchase 10 years ago? I might not have discovered the many other fellow collectors that had problem purchases during the same period.

Such lack of caution, in my opinion, would have been the same as loading the weapon, pointing it at a particularly vulnerable part of my own anatomy, and pulling the trigger.

Respectfully, To All,

John Curlis

I'd not buy RAW from them but, if they had a certified coin that I needed, then I would likely do it.

AMEN.

I also would not buy raw from them, based on what I know now.

However, when I first got into collecting in 2010, i bought a 4 piece 1922-1925 Peace Dollar starter set in GEM BU for $99.

They all got sent to NGC, 3 of them got MS63, the other got MS64. Obviously not GEM quality, but didn't get hosed either. My father-in-law unfortunately bought dozens of raw Morgans from them, and has been getting detail grades left and right as he is certifying his collection.

If they have certified or bullion coins you want or need, there is no risk.

In fact, the have specials on certified coins sometimes that are pretty good.