• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this Toner?

22 posts in this topic

Soo here is one I picked up some time back ... Some might say I overpaid and some might think I got a good deal. What would you pay and why? Also thoughts on the coin?? Feel free to tell it like it is.. Assume the back is blast white which is it... Date is 1885 o

885t.jpg

The color is pretty, but something just doesnt look right...

Usually with toning you dont see that many breaks on the cheek. Im leaning towards AT on this one.

The color is pretty, but something just doesnt look right...

Usually with toning you dont see that many breaks on the cheek. Im leaning towards AT on this one.

I would stand behind this coin as NT 10000% I think what you are seeing is where this coin toned over then rubbed with another coin...

Just speculation...toned on 1 side....heat would do both sides, chemical dip both sides... chemical put on it while laying down? put in chamber with vapors of some type? flat so vapors only reached 1 side, nothing to allow circulation on other, if just thrown in box with other coins would see a crescent shape....pure speculation as I have no experience with this....just trying to imagine how it would be done

I'm not convinced that is naturally toned, but I am probably wrong on this one. The colors just look wrong to me. If naturally toned, it's okay, but the breaks in the toning would preclude me from paying a higher premium for it.

I feel it is very attractive

From pics I would put in the MS 62/63 range

as I am worried about a couple marks on the check

- behind the lips and down along the jawline

that look like they could be gouges or scratches

- although what I am seeing could be toning

this is a coin I would want to see in hand for luster before I would go 'deep' on the color value

it is a rather common date, especially in lower MS

I would go $50 off of picture in auction no problem

and my reluctance would probably stop me near $100

If I saw this coin in hand and it had awesome luster, few marks,

and looked like it could go GEM - I would up that to a few hundred - especially if it spoke to me

I think the coin is NT for what it's worth...I think when you image raw toners under intense light they look like they glow which leads folks to believe they are AT. I have taken numerous raw photos in a similar fashion and even I think the coins look AT when I am done imaging them so my gut tells me in hand it looks a bit more natural.

There is enough blending of the color transitions for me to believe it's legit and also the way the toning in the hair isn't all the same color between the highs and lows. I guess it's possible that the coin could have been gassed etc but I don't think that's the case.

The only thing I don't like is the cheek looks real baggy and the toning breaks are excessive.

It may well be NT,the first thing that came to mind was the depth of color looked shallow.Like bleach was applied to one side?

I will tell you one thing, Bruce's skills on toned coins are above reproach. So, I'd say that this coin, at least at one angle, looks exactly like what you see in the picture. On the other hand, we all know that toners look completely different when tilted and when held straight on.

It's kind of difficult to AT a coin and have the devices be at a different color than the surrounding field. I'd bet NT all the way.

However, the coin looks like someone tried to scratch off the color or possibly used the coin as an emery board. There are plenty of examples of these Morgans so I'd pass.

jom