• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Ebay coin looks totally fake

16 posts in this topic

The second coin is a 1864-S 50C Large S WB-101. Too bad about the cleaning and large X scratched into the right field. (maybe someone thought it was a totally fake)

I agree with the others that they are harshly cleaned, don't see anything that looks suspicious though.

Both coins are genuine, albeit cleaned/whizzed and the photos suck

I would hesitate to authenticate a coin like that from pics. Counterfeiters sometimes polish their products to hide their orgins by removing their counterfeit diagnostics.

Both coins are genuine, albeit cleaned/whizzed and the photos suck

I would hesitate to authenticate a coin like that from pics. Counterfeiters sometimes polish their products to hide their orgins by removing their counterfeit diagnostics.

Yeah and usually the base metal used is obviously not silver, I stand by my determination that both coins are real. Counterfeit seated coins I can spot a no problemo, other series I might doubt myself and not take a chance.

It is easy to spot the bad counterfeits that stick to a magnet

good ones fool many and are made with correct metal, it is best to err on the side of caution if you have any doubt and pass