• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most you've spent on a raw coin?

43 posts in this topic

Now I know Bill has probably spent quite a bit before slabbing started. But let's say once slabbed coins became the norm, what was the most you've spent?

I had to think. Mine was a 1793 Liberty Cap cent in Fair or so from a PCGS forum member. It cost $2500. It slabbed genuine and I actually sold it earlier this year for a nice profit!

Correction, I paid $3500 for a Libertas Medal in VF.

$3050 for one of the nicest circulated Draped Bust dollars I have seen. It was lustrous, totally original, colorful, and on the cusp of XF40. The dealer offered it at VF30, and when eventually had it certified, it came back PCGS VF35.

About $755-$780, depending on how you split out the two-piece lot I purchased at $805. The large part for a 1976 assay commission medal, the rest for the 1977 it came with. It was also my most expensive numismatic purchase regardless of holder.

Mine was a 1998 Britannia 10lb. proof (1/10 oz.) gold coin from the UK currently in for grading at NGC. I was in mint packaging I spent $429.95 for it. It is the lowest issue of this series at 392 worldwide. It's a low mintage modern coin and I am hoping for PR-70!

From our own James_EarlyUS although it had been certified before:

50c-1829.jpg

Also got this from him:

50c-1818_A.jpg

Those are recent. This one I bought nearly18 years ago from Stack's at the Long Beach Show (that long ago?! Yikes!)

10c-18s.jpg

All are certified now...

jom