• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the most you've spent on a raw coin?

43 posts in this topic

Ankur J---- I had to laugh at this question because, even till today's times, I usually buy "RAW" coins.

But, back in the day, early 1970's, I bought an 1871CC Twenty for 2750

These days----especially with my Walkers---I've paid more than that number on a few coins.

Want everyone to know that I don't necessarily recommend to others that they buy "raw". But, if you know what you are doing, it can be quite easy to do well buying raw and then having the coins certified yourself.

Remember, a coin has to be seen by someone first---before it gets slabbed. I try to be that person as often as possible. Bob [supertooth]

$15,050 for an S3 chain cent, which I kept in an album. Perfect planchet, solid F12. Had to holder & sell it to feed myself while in school but did just fine.

Hoot

$15,050 for an S3 chain cent, which I kept in an album. Perfect planchet, solid F12. Had to holder & sell it to feed myself while in school but did just fine.

Hoot

Sorry you had to sell it! What grade did it slab? Any pics?

Hoot

OK, I'm pretty sure it's been YEARS since you posted. Good to have you back!!!

jom

Years ago, an 1807 Capped Bust Half Large stars (the real large stars) O-114 for 2200.00. I graded it xf 40 shot 45. PCGS graded it xf-45. It was a great one. Later sold it to the current President of PCGS. He was a dealer when I sold it to him then. Price I sold it to him for............................. 4K.

I seem to recall being in a coin club in the 5th or 6th grade, spent about 3.50 for a 1909 vdb. way more than it was worth then,wish I still had it, that would have been in about 1974 or 5