• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roosevelt Dime Collector

11 posts in this topic

I admit it. I collect the much maligned Roosevelt dime and I'm proud of it! :)

I have the entire silver series in slabs and many of the clad issues also.

Finding slabbed clad coin is harder than you think, since few people are willing to spend the money on such a low value coin :(

Nevertheless, I keep scouting eBay and other online sites for them.

Here's one I won recently - feel free to post your Roosie images here!

2010roosieD.jpg

Here is the first part of my Roosevelt dime collection ... all of them raw. I have a part two to covers the set to 1964. I got interested in the set after I say an exhibit many years ago at a NENA (New England Numismatic Association) convention. The set was cheap (about $150) so I bought it.

I used to collect the clad ones from circulation, but then I lost interest.

RooseveltDimeset.jpg

Some might say that this thread is a day late and a dollar short. Yesterday would have been a more suited day to post this thread considering it was the engravers Birthday. John Sinnock and I share a Birthday so its rather easy to remember. The series in general lacks respect from a numismatic stand-point, but I dont believe it has really done anything to deserve much respect. At this point and time it is the longest running series ever produced. Even the seated coinage had a few changes from time to time. Even though those changes weren't numismatically driven they still make the series little more interesting today. I believe until the design is changed Roosies will always be sort of a laughing stock of numismatics. Basically, if you are collecting Roosies you should enjoy yourself and not be concerned with future growth. Ask the Early Commem guys how well speculating works for you. With all that said there are some rarities in the series. Many believe that the 1949S is the hardest coin in the series to find. It can be difficult to find a nice one, but I believe in all honesty that the true rarity of the series is a high grade 1955P with Full Bands. I would be willing to bet you could find a 1945P PCGS MS67FB before you would be able to find a 1955P PCGS MS67FB. (The pop report says there are 4 graded but I only know of one.) Some might wonder why I specified PCGS. I think its pretty much understood amongst the Roosevelt Dime collectors that PCGS is stricter. That doesn't mean they are more accurate, but they are definitely stricter from a technical stand point. Now, if you are the type that values strike you better be checking your coins in PCGS holders and not just buying the grade. PCGS Full Bands require the bands to be split whereas NGC requires split bands and the vertical lines must all be present. Much like SLQ's with full heads and no rivets, some Roosevelt Dimes have full split bands but no sign of the vertical lines. Here is a good example.

MS67FB

PCGS.png

Just like any other series one could write about it until they were blue in the face, but really only a handful of people on this forum would probably care. So with that Id like to share a coin I was lucky enough to purchase.

Many that collect any type of later date silver know that coins from 1959-1964 are just plan hard to find with nice color. Roosies are not the exception of that rule. Furthermore most of those dates lack true high grade examples. Quality just wasn't as great.

Well here I have a what I like to call a triple threat. Full Bands which dont come easy for this date at all. High Grade pop 1 with 19 in MS67FB. And even though the pictures dont show it very well this coin has blow your mind color. To be honest I truly believe that this coin is of MS67FB quality. Anyhow, only a few of you prolly made it this far though the thread and if you did than you prolly know that I was excited to find this one. Thats what makes these so fun to me. Only a few of us care enough to know. Ill post better pics one day when Shane gets ahold of it.

Obverse.jpg

Reverse-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Roosies!

Other than the proof issues from '50 - '64 and SMS coins, I've totally stayed away from the business strikes - until last year, that is. I bought a lovely collection of toned Roosies in an old folder and have had a number of them graded by our hosts because they were in high grade and the toning was awesome. Also, I've been working on mint sets from '40 to '50 and, as it turns out, I need the Roosie issues from '46 to '50 to complete my sets.

It has been a great learning experience thus far, and there seems to be a lot of opportunity to find very nice examples to create a sharp collection.

sounds like NGC is stricter with the FB designation from what you mentioned

Their guidelines are stricter. PCGS's allows for some weak strikes to sneak through the cracks. There are many with nice vertical lines like this POP 1/1 I was lucky enough to acquire!

950.jpg