• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RB or RD - Lincoln?

28 posts in this topic

I prefer full red coin in most instances, but only true original red coins (i.e. not those that have been tampered with, even if they have made it into problem free TPG holders). Although I prefer full red coins, I also like red-brown prices that are close to or "just missed" the red designation. I don't like most brown coins, but there are notable exceptions including those that receive the designation, but have attractive toning (I have a BN matte proof) that I fond of too.

Which designation is more desirable RB (red brown) or RD (red) for Lincoln cents collectors?

Thanks

Depends on your goal with them.

I prefer RB and BN examples.

If you're a registry collector you'll want to go with true RD coins. Original RD coins are a rare breed. They'll cost you a pretty penny too. :)

QDB's book on the series is a good one.

34D_Lincoln_ComboB_GreatCollections.jpg

POP 1/0

That and TPG's can no longer guarantee RD coins turning in holders.

I'm pretty sure NGC still has a 10 year guarantee on color for copper, no?

Link

Link

You're right; NGC does guarantee the color designation for ten years after encapsulation.

Edited to add: The linked article, even though from 2003, is still accurate.

There are many RD coins that have turned to RB and maybe even BN in current holders.

It's a mine field in the early RD coins.

When big money is at stake, knowledge is key.

There are many RD coins that have turned to RB and maybe even BN in current holders.

It's a mine field in the early RD coins.

When big money is at stake, knowledge is key.

I know exactly what you mean. I made the mistake once, and ended with a RB Indian Head Cent in a RD holder. I traded the coin with a fellow collector for another coin, and ended coming out ahead (surprisingly). This was before I was aware that many dealers offer screening services during auction viewings at major auctions for a nominal fee.

With moderns (post-1933 issues), Red coins dominate the market.

With early Lincolns (1909-1933), many prefer RB and BN pieces.

I like coins that look original.

Link

You're right; NGC does guarantee the color designation for ten years after encapsulation.

Edited to add: The linked article, even though from 2003, is still accurate.

That's right, but when a coin in RD holder turns RB, and you send it to be reviewed under that guarantee, who reviews it? NGC themselves. So they can simply say it still ok as RD, and what can you do then?

I had once bought a peace dollar graded MS66 on eBay, seller had great pics but when I got it in hand it had a stain on the obverse and 2 serious hits on the chin and cheek, and Some marks on the fields as well. I showed it to few dealers and they all agreed it grades ms64 at most. (seller disappeared, his accounts on eBay and paypal were closed. Whatever). When I sent it to NGC for appearance review, they sent back the invoice, saying: "coin is ok at MS66" and put it in a new holder. Another $30 in the bin lol. I ended up selling it and breaking even, so I'm not that upset.

Don't you think when sending a coin to NGC under some kind of guarantee to be reviewed there should be a subjective third party that reviews the coin? Just my opinion..

P.S on most of my submissions I'm satisfied with NGC's consistency and services. This is not a complaint/rant, just a thought..

So frustrating. I have several coppers that were blazing red when I first acquired them, and are now RB. Sigh.

I even have a struck copy of a 1773 Virginia cent that I bought in Williamsburg in 1986...brand new, blazing red...it's now RB, too!

:cry:

Depends entirely on your likes and dislikes. If you want to spend a ton of bucks just try and go all red. I have some rb coins that are the best known in their grade and they are just fine with me. Personally in most cases I prefer rb.Another problem with red ,and it has already been shown here is ,you can have a $40,000 coin that can retrograde to a $4000 coin right before your eyes and you can't do a thing about it.If you love lincolns some of all colors will talk to you.

wheat

Which designation is more desirable RB (red brown) or RD (red) for Lincoln cents collectors?

It depends mostly on date. I'd prefer my 1957-D to be full RED. But I much prefer R/B for scarcer issues.

Just asked this question because mine 1972 DDO in PCGS MS65RD didn't sell on eBay for starting $600 price and penny from other vendor in NGC MS65RB was sold for 715 shipped. So I guessed that RB coins are more desirable.

Thank you all for answers. Learning something new everyday.

Brol, it could be the look of the coin? Some RD coins have spots, etc on them that don't make them desirable. Its all depends on the individual coin.

If I was to ever save enough money I would want a 1955DDO and from what I have seen, a RB to BN example has a extremely appealing look to me vs some RD examples I have seen

Just asked this question because mine 1972 DDO in PCGS MS65RD didn't sell on eBay for starting $600 price and penny from other vendor in NGC MS65RB was sold for 715 shipped. So I guessed that RB coins are more desirable.

Thank you all for answers. Learning something new everyday.

Whats holding back your coin on ebay are the pics and the quality of the coin, not the color designation. I was watching your coin but your ask price was just too high. Your pics make the coin look flat, no luster; I'm sure its not like that but thats how the pics appear. Also there are very sigificant marks on the obv and rev, too significant for the grade imo. I see your coin as a grade lower than currently slabbed. This was not intented as a rip session on your coin just my honest thoughts from a dedicated registry participant and possible bidder. Your new lower starting price has at least one person interested and you should do better this time around.

I collect Canadian large cents and finding true RD specimens is tough.

A nice RB or BN still has great eye appeal, IMO

I have several MS Victorian cents that have aged into a deep chocolate brown and they look very nice (to me at any rate!)

As a Lincoln collector, I'd say generally we prefer full red coins. As others have mentioned though, it's original red we're after. I used to turn away from many RB's, but I've come around now, and don't mind buying nice appealing RB coins.