• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Small US Mint Rant

19 posts in this topic

Why does the US Mint insist on sending orders by UPS?

It's inconvenient to have to wait for them (since it's shipped "Signature Required") and I never know what time they will show up

The depot is about 15 miles from my house, if I want to pick up my stuff there.

If they shipped with the USPS I could easily pick up my order at my local Post Office (1/2 mile away).

Plus they could be helping the cash-strapped USPS.

I don't like UPS if for no other reason than you cannot get a local number to call to schedule your pick up at the depot. You can only call the 1-800 number, and then spend 10 minutes trying to get a human who can help you schedule a pick-up. BUT, it could be worse!

If you think UPS is bad, when someone ships FedEx Ground it's a nightmare. I was told (not even kidding) that I would have to stay home from work to sign for the package or I could drive 85 miles (one way) to their nearest FedEx Ground pick up station, which happens to also be across the Mississippi River in a different state!!!

I live in a town of around 110,000 people, and we have two FedEx/Kinkos stores in town. I asked if they could simply drop the package at the FedEx store -- but I guess they are two different companies? FedEx Priority and 2Day ship are separate (administratively) from FedEx Ground? WTF? Needless to say, I boycott FedEx. What made the experience even worse was that the package contained a $75 item -- which the seller thought they needed to ship with signature confirmation! Insane.

I was told some interesting stories several years ago from a couple of friends, one worked for UPS and one worked for FedEx, and needless to say, I will never use either service again.

Chris

I'm fortunate to live in a small sort of private neighborhood. UPS and Fedex will leave my packages at my door. We also have a very good Crime Watch and in the 2 yrs I've been here, never had any problems.

I agree about wishing they wouldn't use UPS....however, they aren't going to change by posting rants here.

Find contact info for someone higher up in the USMInt and send them the complaint. Complain to your congressperson.....they aren't doing anything else worthwhile anyway ;)

They are required to get bids for delivery service, and award to the low bidder if all contract terms are met.

ahhhh, lower bidder not always the best lol. I think the USPS would have been great......I've never had a problem with my local postman/woman

The correct specifications should help ensure the expected level of service, but that does not always happen.

Funny...every order I have placed with the Mint has been delivered by the USPS. The shipment originates with the UPS but finally delivery is done by the Post Office. Not sure how it all works but it does (shrug) ...I got no complaints.

Upon visiting the UPS site, I discovered I could opt to have the package delivered without a signature.

Since I live in a small town and know my UPS driver, now she'll just leave it on the back porch for me. (I hope!)

Funny...every order I have placed with the Mint has been delivered by the USPS. The shipment originates with the UPS but finally delivery is done by the Post Office. Not sure how it all works but it does (shrug) ...I got no complaints.

I also get all of my orders sent via USPS. I do have a PO Box so I know that UPS doesn't deliver to PO Boxes, however the mint has never asked for my physical address and just always sends my packages to my local post office until I sign for it..........

Anymore I just have stuff delivered to the office and let the receptionist sign for it. No worries about door tags and missed packages!

Anyone remember DHL? My father used them many times and with no issues over a 8 year time. FedEx takes the cake on BS and Waste of time/ money. When I moved into my new house n february, most of the furniture had to be delivered from warehouses. The company used FedEx....long story short, FedEx sent $2,800 worth of furniture to the wrong address TWICE, once to someplace in CA and again to CT. I spent 3 extra weeks on an air mattress. Their reason for the mix up was that someone put the wrong label on my boxes...twice.

UPS must hire any High school drop out with a DL and no DUIs. But their distribution center is 1/2 mile away from me so I always have packages held there.

I fear the USPS is next in line. One of the temp deliverers had been opening my mail (mostly first class bubble mailers) for god knows how long and I finally caught them red handed on my housing complexes security cameras. Only 1 coin was stolen but I am still going to court against her. At least the USPS takes employee misconduct seriously. I was told by the Lakeland postmaster that I wasn't the only one complaining about the issue with her. She may end up in fed. Prison for up to 15 years.

-dave

I believe DHL now concentrates on international shipments.

I've gotten some deliveries from the Mint via a weird combination of FedEx/USPS - always takes forever to get here and makes me wonder why they didn't just send it USPS.