• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first capped bust half dollar

26 posts in this topic

Won this in the recent stacks auction. Paid $306 with bp. NGC EF-40 O-107 Rarity -2 . Opinions are welcome.

I would like some insight on the overton number and the rarity factor as these are greek to me.

The reverse appears to have a die clash?

I should note I bought the coin for the toning every thing else I am just curious about.

cappedbust.jpg

cappedbust1.jpg

The 1823 O.107 CBH was struck from obverse die 6 and reverse die G (the die marriage). The rarity of R2 corresponds to "slightly uncommon" and 500-1,000 pieces estimated known for the die marriage. The emission sequence (the order in which the die pairs were used to produce coinage) suggests that this die marriage was the 173rd die marriage pair to be put into use counting back to the initial half dollars of 1794. If we restrict ourselves to 1823 CBHs only, then the emission sequence for this die marriage estimates this was the eighth pair of dies used to produce coins.

The toning that you appear to like so much looks to be secondary toning, which occurs after a coin is dipped (stripped or otherwise cleaned) and then left to retone over time. The reverse also shows prominent die clashing.

The toning that you appear to like so much looks to be secondary toning, which occurs after a coin is dipped (stripped or otherwise cleaned) and then left to retone over time.

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone else around here who happens to like that kind of toning. I mean, really...that's just crazy. whistle-1.gif

jom

I agree probably retoned but if I had the funds for and unc example I would be posting it right now. :)

Last time I won a stacks auction it took 4 weeks to recieve I hope they are faster this time. I am excited this is my first coin in a few months.

I agree probably retoned but if I had the funds for and unc example I would be posting it right now. :)

Last time I won a stacks auction it took 4 weeks to recieve I hope they are faster this time. I am excited this is my first coin in a few months.

Depending on when you bought your last coin from them they could have been moving at the time. Their main facility is located pretty close to where I live and I know they recently changed buildings. That could have been the reason for the slow response at that time.

jom

The toning that you appear to like so much looks to be secondary toning, which occurs after a coin is dipped (stripped or otherwise cleaned) and then left to retone over time.

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone else around here who happens to like that kind of toning. I mean, really...that's just crazy. whistle-1.gif

jom

Yeah, what he said! :ohnoez:

That is a very nice coin all around and terrific toning to boot!

jom

Yup. Tom is exactly right.

Still, Jom is on the money. There is a huge demand for this sort of appearance. $300 is a steal.

Nice photos!

Lance.

Please understand that I never meant to infer that there wasn't a very large and avid collector base for coins with this appearance. In fact, these are collected by many folks and quite a few people will pay strong premiums for coins with this type of look.

Please understand that I never meant to infer that there wasn't a very large and avid collector base for coins with this appearance. In fact, these are collected by many folks and quite a few people will pay strong premiums for coins with this type of look.

Of course you weren't...I just took the opportunity to use the "whistling" gif. lol

jom

Depending on when you bought your last coin from them they could have been moving at the time. Their main facility is located pretty close to where I live and I know they recently changed buildings. That could have been the reason for the slow response at that time.

jom

It was in November of 2011.

I think it may have been clerical. I waited patiently and when I did contact them the coin was sent over night. Nice coin too.

164682_01.jpg

164682_02.jpg

jom

It was in November of 2011.

I think it may have been clerical. I waited patiently and when I did contact them the coin was sent over night. Nice coin too.

164682_01.jpg

164682_02.jpg

"Nice coin" is a definite understatement. That is a beautiful Walker. Great photos too.

Carl

I only have a few that is the problem. I save up for the ones I really like. Most of my personal pics are not that good. I need to have some professional shots taken.

I will dig up a few pics though.