• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TWINS posted by Six Mile Rick

15 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

2 1/4s = 1/2

Friends, It is late in the day and the sun is down but I still managed to pull off a pic. Here is a set of twin reverse I/4 oz classic eagles that a friend wanted me to pick up at 10% over spot for him. The dates are 1894 and 1900. The reverse pic came out better as there is no sun I went with that one.

Enjoy----

11623.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

Thanks Jason, I wanted to get a pic as I just got them in hand but the sun was below the horizon. Luckily I was able to pull one pic off, as the coins ship tomorrow.

Later---Rick

okay..for those who are curious, Rick found these 2 beauties for me. Thanks again and now I'm excited to get them in hand ( as if the anticipation wasn't already getting to me)..they look even better than I was hoping--awesome coins for just a bit above current melt costs !!

PS: I could be wrong but I think the 1/4 ounce are called half eagles, the 1/2 ounces are called Eagles and the 1 ounce $20 gold pieces are double eagles--the mint sure has a way of not making anything simple and straight forward don't they?

Is it a nickel or 5c piece?

Is it a Mercury dime or is it a "winged liberty head"

Is it a buffalo nickel or Indian nickel?

The indian head cent is actually Lady Liberty with a traditional Indian headdress.

Isn't the Standing Liberty on the quarter actually descending the steps?

Why does "draped bust" refer to the bosom as the bust with cleavage showing and fabric draped across the chest but the "capped bust" is using the term bust as the profile of the head?

If we use the term "nickel" to mean the same thing as a 5c piece, then isn't a 3c nickel kind of non-sensical and contradictory? ( yes, I understand that it is referring to the metal and not value but there is a definite lack of consistency)

Why do the AmericanSilver Eagles even bother having one dollar minted on the design?

etc etc..okay..just thought this would be fun..anyone got any more?

I thought the $10 was the Eagle, $20 a Double Eagle, $5 was a half Eagle and $2.5 was a Quarter Eagle... and the $1 was just a gold dollar. Am I right, or have I been totally befuddled by Jacksonian ramblings?? ;)

Rick;

Man your photo's have come a long way since ...... Very nice job, well done. Now if we could ONLY teach some of the sellers at E-Bay how its done (I know wishful thinking)

Mike

nah..no slabs for these. These are ones that I'm gonna pull out every once in a while and just enjoy holding and turning over with my fingers... :grin:

I pulled out a roll of Morgans and flipped through them the other day. Looking for the ones to rid of and it is nice to flip some coins in your hand once in a while instead of just slabs.

Jackson your GOLD is on it's way bud,

Rick