• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

is this 5FS?

22 posts in this topic

Do the nicks go all the way through? Can't tell by the photo, try rotating it to check and use a 17X-20X magnifier. If they don't go all the way through it is full step (you will see a straight line with no dark areas breaking the line).

Doug

I don't say that so much to be critical, I'm just still new, and trying to learn, and just when I think that I'm starting to figure things out..... curveball. That's all, just trying to learn here.

Is it in a slab other than NGC or PCGS? I bought a 5FS 1947 not to long ago and it kind of looked like yours. It was in an NTC holder. Not only did it not not have 5FS but it was also at least 2 grades lower. I gave it to my grandaughter and she thinks it is pretty (she is 4). Bought it not for the grade (which was supposed to be 66 but to see how they did with FS designation). Not to much money lost and a valuable lesson learned.

Doug

Hard to tell by the pics but some nicks are ok as long as they dont merge the steps. It does however, look like steps 3 & 4 are merging which would count this as a "No" FS Jefferson to me.

to clarify, this isn't my coin. I was looking at an upcoming auction and saw this coin. It is holdered by one of the top tier grading services.

what do you think?......I know, I know, it's just a photo

Picture11.png

I am not sure what some of you are looking at but this coin is very close to full steps if not full. Just because there are light marks on the steps, that does not automatically preclude a full step designation. To me it appears pretty evident that the marks under the 2nd pillar do not interrupt the steps. The mark under the first pillar is more concerning. Additionally, the entire 3rd & 4th step areas in the first two quarters should be scrutinized as there could be some bridging in that area. I would not be willing to condemn the steps of this nickel from this photo. In hand, under a glass, this coin very well could be full steps. Having said that, I doubt that NGC would grade this coin 5FS and would expect to see it in a PCGS holder.

BTW, what year is this nickel?

Picture11.png

I am not sure what some of you are looking at but this coin is very close to full steps if not full. Just because there are light marks on the steps, that does not automatically preclude a full step designation. To me it appears pretty evident that the marks under the 2nd pillar do not interrupt the steps. The mark under the first pillar is more concerning. Additionally, the entire 3rd & 4th step areas in the first two quarters should be scrutinized as there could be some bridging in that area. I would not be willing to condemn the steps of this nickel from this photo. In hand, under a glass, this coin very well could be full steps. Having said that, I doubt that NGC would grade this coin 5FS and would expect to see it in a PCGS holder.

There are a couple of steps that are not separated in spots and run enough of the length that looks like two steps becoming one step.

I can see that in at least two different areas of the steps.

Picture11.png

There are a couple of steps that are not separated in spots and run enough of the length that looks like two steps becoming one step.

I don't see the nicks as being an issue with a 5FS designation, but I agree, I do see merging with steps 3 & 4. This, IMO, would be the killer for me.

Picture11.png

Are you saying that you see bridging in areas outside of those that I have already identified?

Picture11.png

I don't want to damper this auction for the seller, but without saying much more, it is a 1963.

I have to urge again, that my post wasn't to criticize but only to learn. I've only been collecting/learning for a few years now, and I thought I had a hold on what 6FS and 5FS were. This one made me rethink. I am enjoying the analysis from all of you.

Picture11.png

Are you saying that you see bridging in areas outside of those that I have already identified?

If that was what I was saying, I think I would have said it.

I'm sure we're seeing the same bridging you referred to initially.