• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pair of Eagles - Overpriced, but ordered

16 posts in this topic

Well, I decided today to order the 2 eagle proof set. Yep, I guess I am a sucker too. 3X melt from the mint is getting to be a little pricey.....

Opinions?

MM

Agree with the pricey.... But I am twice the sucker you are since I ordered two of them...

Cripes....you either need to belly up to the bar and pay the piper or abandon the series....I guess I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet on the ASE's.... I probably should, but I am known to be a slow learner....

Agree with the pricey.... But I am twice the sucker you are since I ordered two of them...

Cripes....you either need to belly up to the bar and pay the piper or abandon the series....I guess I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet on the ASE's.... I probably should, but I am known to be a slow learner....

(thumbs u

I will order mine this week sometime along with all the rest of the sets I need. My main disappointment is that even if I order this set, I'll still need to order the single regular proof since it's a different mintmark!

The price of this set made me change the way I collect mint products.

I only bought one of this set and gave up on most everything else from the mint.

They went too far.

I consider myself an under-educated collector; I lurk here as a way to try and gain insight and have posted when I need help .... it's been an eye opener to see what others think of buying from the US mint. I must confess, I buy most of my items from them because I don't have the time at home to attend estate auctions and I'm not much of a fan of ebay.

It has been interesting to learn how much I've been overpaying but I try to rationalize paying, what is in essence, full on "manufacturer's suggested retail price" by telling myself it's worth it for the time I save.

All that being said, what are other's opinions on whether I'll ever get a fair return on my expenditures of buying ASE's (proofs, bullion & sets) and 1oz silver commemoratives from the US mint?

ps. I buy the coins a) because I really like the look of them -- LOVE the reverse proof issues & b) an investment in silver

I'm in the same boat as most it looks. I've collected SAE's for a few yearss. I have a complete MS Dansco, Proofs from 2000-date, and I have the 25th ann set. I had to sell my 2006 Ann set a while back. This 2-coin set is pricey but in order to try to maintain an SAE set, it is needed. I'm starting to look a little different at collecting these. I agree with johne68 as they are beautiful and I've always liked them but the mint seems to be finding different ways of putting these out that eventually is going to turn people away from them due to the way they have ben pricing them in my opinion.

The only way I can rationalize buying from the mint (and I do...subscription sets and ASE's) is like this:

I have several hobbies: Snow skiing, scuba diving, hunting/shooting, and coin collecting.

Of the hobbies mentioned, each and everyone of them (with the possible exception of shooting/guns) when I buy a item, for example the new snow skiis I bought last year... The day after I buy them, they aren't worth what I paid for them. And every year that goes buy after that, they become worth less and less until literally, I have some equipoment I can't give away.

At the very least with guns and coin collecting, when I decide to sell some particualar piece i have, I am going to get SOMETHING back out of it beyone my enjoyment of having had the pleasure of owning/admiring/using it for the periord of time it was in my possesion... I may make money on it, I may not, but for me, it's better than the aforementioned snow skiis, even when I buy from the mint at inflated prices...

By the way.... anyone want to trade? I have some "vintage" snow skiis I will trade for some really cool coins...... :P

Crohnos01 .... thank you.

now i have a response i can use when my wife gives me that "i can't believe you spent that much for THAT" look

if push ever comes to shove i can point to the obsolete MMII-EX camera setup, the still-used but severily outdated U/W oly 350 camera setup, the atomic regs, the seaquest bc's, the "gotta have for this trip" now no longer used dive lights, the bio fins.... and the list goes on... take the equipment, the cost it takes to get to good dive sites from the midwest & the cost of our scuba diving hobby absolutely dwarfs what i spend on coins. and you're right, i spend that money knowing that i'll never recoup it, but Lord knows i spend it willingly just to enjoy having the pleasure of blowing off some bubbles & swim w/ the pretty fish -- the weapons i've never given thought to selling.

thanks for the perspective, and thank the good man above that i can afford to do & enjoy the things i do.

Dang it, what choice do I have? I have collected the Eagles since 86, can't stop the compulsion :o

Guess I could join CCA 12 step program

Cheers

OP

Dang it, what choice do I have? I have collected the Eagles since 86, can't stop the compulsion :o

Guess I could join CCA 12 step program

Cheers

OP

:signfunny:

Yeah, the price was very disheartening, but that doesn't seem to have stopped buyers, with 156,000+ units ordered already. That just tells the mint the demand is there at that price point.

Keeping up with my Silver Eagle collection every year was starting to get a bit more then I wanted to spend. So last year I decided to sell off my SAEs and only collect the anniversary/special sets from the Mint. For me it has worked out fine. I am not spending as much and I still get to collect samples...IMHO...of one of the best coins the mint has every produced.

Anything I can do to help a fellow bubble blower and collector is my pleasure Johne..

Believe me, I practiced (practice being the key) the above line on the wife more than once when I got the...."you spent HOW much on those ASE's??!!!"

It also helps to leave a check for those coins you have sold once in awhile sitting on the table for a day or two before you cash it also (dodge the subject on how much you paid for them vs. how much you sold them for though...if you made money, she will want you to sell more and if you lost money... well.... ) :tonofbricks:

Sometimes I find it's better to ask forgiveness than permission......

And yes, I will join with your giving thanks that I have enough disposable income at the end of the day to be able to consider buying coins here and there and the health to enjoy all my pastimes.