• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ask sellers to end auctions

Do you ask sellers to end auctions early  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ask sellers to end auctions early

20 posts in this topic

On Ebay do you ever ask sellers to end early for X amount of dollars? Just curious how many of you all do that. I usually ask because I'm scared if I dont someone else will.

If the seller has a coin listed with no bids, yes I have! It doesn't matter if it is a straight auction format or a listing with a BIN.

I had an occasion once about 7 years ago when, Fouad, a French seller, from whom I had won a few auctions, didn't have any listings for about 6-8 weeks. I feared that something may have happened to him, but then, I checked his store, and he had about 60 new listings.

I sent him an e-mail expressing my concern and the relief when I saw his new listings. He explained that 3-4 times a year he takes off scouring Europe for new material. He was so appreciative of my concern that he asked me if there were any of the new medals I might like to buy outright. Mind you, these were all listed as straight auctions.

The listings were so new that no bids had been placed on any of them. I sure would have liked to see Fouad's face when I told him that there were 44 that I wanted to purchase. He pulled the auctions immediately, and we set about negotiating a price that would be fair for both of us.

Chris

I have in the past when I was on ebay. I have not used ebay now for like 2-3+ years now and have forgotten my userid and password.

Now I just buy from the forum here and ats and pm people

I have never asked a seller to end a straight auction early that I can recollect. I have done so with BIN auctions, though, more than a few times. I have even bought stuff from sellers that didn't make reserve by contacting them directly and negotiating a price. Not the safest thing to do before but with Paypal these days it is much safer.

Thanks to the participants..... I kind of eluded to it in the original post but I prefer the auction to run its course. Its part of the fun to bid on items. I find myself asking alot of the times hoping that they tell me "no". I ask just to be sure nobody else has tried to end the auction early. Im in a spot right now where somebody has told me yes and went on to tell me that im the third person to ask. First one of you to give me X amount gets the coin.

What i dont understand is when i get asked to do a BIN and i say no the person then never puts a bid on and the item finishes at less than they offered ? if they were that interested why not put that bid in anyway?

The timing of this question is pretty good since I just had someone do this to me last night.

I had several coins for sale on the BST here and across the street and have gradually moved them to Ebay with two of them going up last night. One of them was a 1940-S nickel in an NGC MS67T slab. There had been no bids placed yet and his suggested price for the coins was quite a bit above my reserve price. So, I told him I would add a Buy It Now for the price he suggested. He hit the button to buy it less than 2 minutes after it was added it to the auction.

That worked out very well except I tossed and turned in bed last night trying to figure out why the buyer wanted it so badly and figured I'd been cherry-picked :).

Ive done it several times if there were no bids.. sometimes if the seller agreed, they would change their auction to a buy now and I would snag it up.. other cases were handled off ebay.

I did this a couple of weeks ago. No bids, newly posted. The dealer replied he would change it to a BIN at 110% of the starting bid price. Bottom line was $197.

Sweet! I needed an ugly 3. It's an NGC XF45.

Lance.

d0bc4a22.jpgdce3ff6a.jpg

I sell and buy on ebay I have asked sellers to end early, sometimes I'll offer to buy multiple items to sweeten the deal, but there is no harm in asking. Sometimes if I want to buy something and my paypal acct is low, I will just end an auction early. You have to realize that sellers may WANT a certain price for something, they generally will accept the starting bid they listed. Obviously they won't end it if they just listed it, but when it nears the end with no bids they get antsy. Just my 2 cents worth. pun intended