• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1817 Bust Half Dollar posted by Six Mile Rick

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

O-K Folks here is my latest puzzle

Friends, I went to the Gold store to pick up a few gold pieces. I grabbed 2-XF $5 pieces = 1894 and 1900. I also got a XF $10 piece from 1882. Then I was handed a mystery.

I will show you very soon a 1817 Bust half. This coin had something on it previous to minting. Check over top of the date and you will find the raised letters from a past coin running from under one side of the bust to under the other side. I have tried every angle but still can't read it properly.

HELP!!

11588.jpg

See more journals by Six Mile Rick

Rick

I think what you have is die clashing. This occurs when an obverse die and reverse die clash together without a blank leaving an impression on the die that is then transferred to every coin struck on that die thereafter. I have a three dollar gold piece that has strong clashing on both sides of the coin. It looks as if the banner E Pluribus Unum backwards is what transferred. This of course would not appear on the breast because that part of the die (negative) is recessed. I think that die clashing on coins is kind of cool and that you have a nice piece there. I don't think many people will pay a premium to own a coin like that though. All the best my friend!

Gary

Thanks Gary, I have looked for a rev die clash but could not line up the letters.

But then I looked very very hard and still can't see the 4 under the 7. ha ha

Checking the exact rev the ribon EPLURIBUS UNUM is at the exact spot.

Pretty Cool.--------------Later

Gary is onto something...

I took the image and held it up side down and towards a mirror. The lettering pops right out.

just MHO.

Pretty neat coin.

Jack

Looks like the same die clashing I have on my 1814. Bust halves in the 1812 - 1817 period had some of the most extensive die clashes of any US coins. You can see most of the outline of the eagle on the obverse and the outline of Liberty on the reverse of mine. The banner with the motto is very clear, in the same place as your 1817 but much more distinct.