• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pcgs rattlers

30 posts in this topic

I simply did not like dealing with them, wouldn't fit into the plastic storage boxes properly. Had them all reholdered. Unless they have been stored away in an old time collection, the coins worth upgrading have already been tried. JMHO

I always see them priced at a premium but, in reality, many of the ones that were really good have been cracked out, already. There are probably still a few good ones out there but not too many.

Is there any value to the older holders that rattel?

Too many buyers think so without even looking at the coin in the holders.

Anymore, probably 98% of the PQ coins have long been cracked out, and what's left in rattler (and green-label holders) tends to be the dregs.

It's different if you find a TRUE old hoard of coins put back at the contemporary time of certification. Then, there will be some upgrades. But for any group for which you don't know the history, assume they've been picked through already.

These days, cynics and realists will tell you that "OGH", which is used to refer to both green-label and rattler holders, stands for "OverGraded Holder".

agreed it depends

i just got a common date rattler with a monster dmpl morgan dollar in it ms 64 dmpl

with a cac sticker

the coin is a no brainer 65 but it is so cool in the rattler and basically the rattler is in mint condition like it was slabbed yesterday with gloved hands and with the ms 65 price just double+ the 64 price it aint worth it to break out as the coin will find its own level

also it will be sold friday june 29 in balty so i guess for me

who cares lol

again it all DEPENDS ON THE COIN WITHIN

i am sure many no brainer undergraded coins have already been upgraded (au58 to ms 62 63)

there are many that have turned in the rattlers for whatever reason red to rb putty showing up a dip gone bad and turned etc. etc also there are coins that are solid and even overgraded in the rattlers but it would figure that those are still in rattlers

but make no mistake about it there are still fresh deals out there put away since they got slabbed re. like my coin that are undergraded monsters

will they be cracked out?

who knows?? with the current rare older holder craze and yes folks it is growing

for me i like rattlers and also hot stamped ngc holders etc. so i cant crack any out -- just cant do it might be a fault for me>> i pass them along as is where is

am i leaving money on the table? hm

maybe sometimes yes and maybe sometimes no

within the last year saw a rattler with a super common date saint with a cac sticker got cracked and went to ms 65 it got the cac sticker

cracked again and went 66 also got a cac sticker

yes not a common happenstance

but

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE COIN

and with how tight and unforgiving within the last year the services have been with many coins maybe it is best to leave the coin alone and sell it for PQ money

again dont matter to me as by june 29 balty i will be out of my rattler lol

and this is the first rattler that dont rattle :o i guess with being a killer dmpl nicely cameoed common date morgan it was one of the first off of fresh dies and hence had a little more edge/wire edge/finning to the edge of the coin?? and when it was sealed the coin was ever so slightly thicker by a hair and so the coin held firm against the seal and never moved around hm

this is the first rattler i ever seen that dont rattle (yes i dont get around much) lol so i likes it like that

and finally i am out of it at june 29 balty so who cares lol

Depends on the coin. Morgan's and commems, not much.

This could not be more untrue, yes as many have posted alot of the old holders have been picked thru and whats left can be low end stuff. But its also true that may PQ coins are still in rattlers and OGH holders because the price jump just is not worth the cost to take a chance on a resubmit. Many common date Morgans have a very narrow price spread between MS63/64 or MS64/65 and just dont justify the cost to crack and send in.

Also as noted there are still lots of collections out there with material thats been off the market for 20yrs + that when sold will have nice coins in old holders, be thay PCGS, NGC, ANACS, or others. I do tend to be wary of seller hype of old holders but I always give them a good look when I see them.

How much does it rattle? The ones that rattle a lot are worth much more. Just-a-little-rattle is like a new slab. Don't pay more.

Lance.

Like folks have said, it depends.

I have found rattlers that are correctly graded and rattlers that are undergraded. Sometimes, you can find really nice ones and sometimes they are scratched up.

Best thing is to take a good look at the coin.

Nice thing is that if you find a nice looking coin in a rattler, you can be reasonably certain that it won't turn in the holder once you have it, if you store it well. A bad dip would likely have already turned. Messing with the color (on a copper coin) would likely already show as well.

I've sold a few rattlers I have bought over the last few years, but I still have a few. Most have CAC stickers, or are currently being submitted right now.

They don't fit in the normal boxes well, it is true, but I don't feel like cracking them or submitting to be cracked as that would expose them to the environment and may cause some changes...why risk it when most will pay true value for them. If not, then I don't sell :)

All that said, I have not found any nice 1/2 cents (AU and below) that I would want, in rattler holders...nor in old NGC fatty holders. Not saying they aren't out there, but I haven't seen them so they may be well locked up or have been resubmitted to max out any holder profit.

How much does it rattle? The ones that rattle a lot are worth much more. Just-a-little-rattle is like a new slab. Don't pay more.

Lance.

I had a nice 1901 $10 gold piece in piece in one that sounded like a baby rattle. It bugged me so much that I cracked out the coin for that reason alone. Later I had NGC grade the coin, and it came back as an MS-65 after PCGS had called it MS-64. I tend to agree with the PCGS grade, but I could not stand hearing the coin rattle like that.

Lance.

I had a nice 1901 $10 gold piece in piece in one that sounded like a baby rattle. It bugged me so much that I cracked out the coin for that reason alone. Later I had NGC grade the coin, and it came back as an MS-65 after PCGS had called it MS-64. I tend to agree with the PCGS grade, but I could not stand hearing the coin rattle like that.

Did you carry it in your pocket?

There also is the added color risk

pre_at.jpg

post_at.jpg

Lance.

pre_at.jpg

post_at.jpg

There was a PCGS forum member that was caught ATing coins within rattler slabs. Rattlers are not air-tight and coins within those slabs can be toned by putting them in a sealed container containing a sulfur rich atmosphere.

There was a PCGS forum member that was caught ATing coins within rattler slabs. Rattlers are not air-tight and coins within those slabs can be toned by putting them in a sealed container containing a sulfur rich atmosphere.

Someone must be kind of crazy to do so, if it turns out like the example provided. The coin looks much worse after the AT!

The only rattler currently in my collection:

1913t1fcobvs.jpg

1913t1fcobvNGC.jpg

1913t1fcrevNGC.jpg

Mark Goodman images. (thumbs u

Someone must be kind of crazy to do so, if it turns out like the example provided. The coin looks much worse after the AT!

There are pleanty of people that would call that a "monster" and pay up for it even if I agree with you

no holder is air tight

Agree but some slabs are more air tight than others. The rattler slab is by far the least air tight of all the slab designs.

Agree but too many collectors assume that toning on a coin that's already in a slab must be NT or at least market acceptable since it appears to have been blessed by the professional graders who graded and slabbed that coin. These same collectors also frequently think that any colorful toning must make a coin more desirable and more valuable.

Lance.

pre_at.jpg

post_at.jpg

What was your thought process in bringing this up in this thread?

I have some rattlers in my Morgan collection. I don't care if they don't fit well in the PCGS storage box. I don't care if they might be undergraded or not. I bought them because I like them for what they are, even if some have moved around in the slab a bit.

Chris

127696.jpg.08aec5f394f6e983c9426e15694aef2b.jpg

127697.jpg.fd2b76e52f9605e7fb69e905bba359f6.jpg

In all fairness, my experience has been that the "DMPL" was pretty loosely applied prior to about ten years ago by all the TPGs. If anything, ANACS may have had the most conservative use of DMPL when they had the small slabs with blue ANA logo.

In all fairness, my experience has been that the "DMPL" was pretty loosely applied prior to about ten years ago by all the TPGs. If anything, ANACS may have had the most conservative use of DMPL when they had the small slabs with blue ANA logo.

I wasn't regularly submitting/purchasing slabbed coins ten years ago so I don't know the exact time frame, but I have had similar experiences with the old holders of both PCGS and NGC. I have seen plenty of pieces that I feel would receive a demotion to a non-designated or star coin.

I would say that he was pointing out one of the potential shortcomings of the rattler slabs

I would say that he was pointing out one of the potential shortcomings of the rattler slabs

(thumbs u