• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats wrong with this penny

16 posts in this topic

I found this wheat penny in change yesterday and it just looks different.The color looks the same as a steel cent,and when you drop it on a table it sounds different than copper cents.I was wodering if anyone has seen something like this before?The penny on the right is for color comparison.

100_1826.jpg[/img]

I just stacked the two pennies on top of each other and it is slightly larger. I didnt notice with the penny in hand.Looking now it does look like a bezel,thanks

I'm late on this but agreed, it is in a bezel. The different sound you're hearing is the bezel hitting instead of the cent.

Can you describe the sound better? I mean, is it a ping or ding, or a pong or dong? I'm no numismatic-acoustics expert, but if you check the Internet, I wouldn't be surprised if you find one. As a matter of fact, check ATS, I'll bet they've got one by now.

The second one is a very nice die crack with crumbling of the edges of the crack in the wheat kernels. It also looks like it may be trying to develop a retained cud as well. There is also a large die chip in the top of the left hand wheat stalk.