• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool idea? Re-"strike" elongated cents using vintage "dies"

9 posts in this topic

I don't know if the presses that were used to create elongated cents a hundred years ago used "dies" - is there a better term? At any rate, it occurred to me that it might be really neat to use, say, the 1904 World's Fair "dies" to "restrike" over 2004 Lincoln cents. Especially since the modern cents use copper-plated zinc planchets, some very interesting artistic results might occur.

Are those old "dies" or whatever they are called still in existence?

I don't know if the presses that were used to create elongated cents a hundred years ago used "dies" - is there a better term? At any rate, it occurred to me that it might be really neat to use, say, the 1904 World's Fair "dies" to "restrike" over 2004 Lincoln cents. Especially since the modern cents use copper-plated zinc planchets, some very interesting artistic results might occur.

Are those old "dies" or whatever they are called still in existence?

Sounds like a cool idea.

If they are in existence, I would imagine they're in a museum somewhere.

To be even more accurate, 'roller dies'

The gear ratio from the hand crank to the roller dies was such, that a metal slug could be pressed into a elongated strip. What ever you had engraved into the roller, came out raised on the strip.

Do they still exist?

Pretty sure you wouldn't notice the difference in the composition of the coin like you might imagine. These things are still very abundant at virtually any tourist spot today.

they are rollers and this is what my wife does with my hard earned money...

flattenedcoins.jpg

As long as they are marked "copy".

Nick

Would that be necessary if modern coins are used? I know that the 1904s were intentionally made such that the date of 1904 was still clearly visible.