• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Agree or disagree?

26 posts in this topic

I wish I could see it a little closer but I disagree.Washingtons cheek and head look very clean,the obverse field is also very clean looking with great looking luster.I see no problems with the reverse either. I think a solid 66 possible 67.my opinion may change with a closer picture!!!

I agree it's a 64. It's a nice, well struck coin but the fields on both obverse and reverse have too much spottiness to go higher. While there are no hits obvious, the spots are distracting enough.

I agree it's a 64. It's a nice, well struck coin but the fields on both obverse and reverse have too much spottiness to go higher. While there are no hits obvious, the spots are distracting enough.

I have seen MS66, 67 and 68 examples with the "spottiness" you noted. Based on the images, the coin looks better than MS64. And that wont change, even if it turns out that the coin is graded AU. Yet another of the countless examples of images not serving as a substitute for an in-hand inspection.

My guess is that the grade limiting factors are slight disturbances on Washington's face and forehead.

I should add this coin is raw and not graded by NGC or PCGS, so I could be wrong in my grading.. been known to happen before. Take note of the I in IN and the date.. Both of which are are weak. The 19 especially. The T in trust, a few minor scattered hits and some light field chatter. Maybe I am being too harsh?

It is at least a 65. There appears to be slight strike weakness, and some marks and ticks scattered throughout - but nothing major. The luster appears quite strong. Minor haziness hurts the eye appeal, but it may be strong enough for 65+.

I'll go aganst the grain and agree with your 64 grade. At first glance the coin looks 65/66, but in addition to the other weak areas you pointed out the cheek looks flat to me. I'm no expert on this series so I may be way off.

I'll go aganst the grain and agree with your 64 grade. At first glance the coin looks 65/66, but in addition to the other weak areas you pointed out the cheek looks flat to me. I'm no expert on this series so I may be way off.

I also noticed the flatness on the high points of the cheeks, as well, but that is VERY typical for this series and issue. I don't feel that it would hold the grade down below MS 65. IMHO. Let me add that the reverse, especially the eagle's breast, is very strong and is quite important when considering and evaluating this issue.

I have over 50 MS66 Washingtons in my registry set and the coin pictured here looks just as good or better than most in my set.With that being said,I know it is very difficult if not impossible to accurately grade a coin by pictures!!!

Jason

I've seen Washington quarters with less luster than yours and details not as sharp, in MS65 holders.

I think this coin is at least a 65, maybe 65+.

Reverse is a 65 obv 64. I like the head spike die break.

I noticed this also. You may have a form of variety here. I'm not sure whether it has already been attributed/discovered before or not but I'd call it 1934-D "spiked head" eagle..