• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1884-CC MORGAN GSA

24 posts in this topic

A coin i bought earlier this year.

Now i finally have good pics of the coin (it is now on consignment with Shane (Kryptonitecomics) for sale, and i'm using his (excellent) pics).

it has nice toning and huge die cracks ("RIBU" on pluribus and through "UNITED S")

just wanted to see what you think it grades..

thanks!

1-20.jpg

2-21.jpg

Looks ms63, but what is the black substance at the 10 a clock position on the reverse?

that's the holder's insert that holds the coin

It looks like a nice Morgan to me. The Obv is a little nicked and looks about 63 to me while the Rev looks pretty nice at about 65. I'd probably net grade this at 64.

I'll say it grades MS64, I dont personally like this type of toining but the market as a whole seems to. If its already graded by a TPG thay might have gone as high as 65, CC dollars sometimes get a pass for marks due to how thay were transported back in the day.

Hey.

It's not graded.

I liked the toning and really liked the die cracks.

It is now on eBay for sale.

I think the reverse looks 65 and the obverse brings it down to 64.

CC gets it a 64.

Why would you grade it differently because of the mintmark?

I wouldn't, but the TPGs often do in my opinion. You won't believe the number of Carson City Morgan Dollars I have seen in 65 slabs that look like baggy 64s. With that said, I would have said MS64 for this particular coin regardless.

CC gets it a 64.

Coinman answered as I would have. They may have even given the coin a higher grade than I suggested.

CC gets it a 64.

Coinman answered as I would have. They may have even given the coin a higher grade than I suggested.

CC's are typically baggy and market grading tends to allow a bit more marking on them.

CC gets it a 64.

I wouldn't, but the TPGs often do in my opinion. You won't believe the number of Carson City Morgan Dollars I have seen in 65 slabs that look like baggy 64s. With that said, I would have said MS64 for this particular coin regardless.

I agree. The tendency of TPGs in grading Carson City Morgan Dollars allows for more bag marks without a down grade. I've never heard a clear explanation, but that is a fact. A comparison of the populations of CC Morgan Dollars and non CC Morgan Dollars clearly demonstrates the bias.

That being said, I would grade the OPs coin as MS64. Way too many hits in focal areas to allow for a grade of MS65.

Carl