• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Candidate for the coolest error in existence

31 posts in this topic

This obviously had some help getting out of the mint, or their quality control is and a miracle happened.

No less than 31 strikes!

2012-06-02_12-07-54_34.jpg

2012-06-02_12-07-39_107.jpg

2012-06-02_12-07-29_31.jpg

2012-06-02_12-07-23_241.jpg

2012-06-02_12-07-17_540.jpg

2012-06-02_12-07-10_392.jpg

2012-06-02_12-07-03_666.jpg

2012-06-02_12-06-50_120.jpg

2012-06-02_12-06-27_584.jpg

I think it would be cooler if it weren't so blatantly obvious that someone illegally smuggled this out of the mint. I saw a bunch of these in Charmy's post with Fred Weinberg. I'm surprised the government doesn't confiscate such items.

Brg, I think the government how more pressing issues than confiscating such items.

That is an epic error, I can't stop looking at that thing. I would love to see ngc slab that. So let's here the story, where did you get this monstrosity? And more importantly is it for sale?

Nick

I can't believe especially as it's copper that it isn't being handled with cotton gloves doh!

My thought exactly. I wonder if NGC and PCGS have a slab that could accommodate the coin. Would one of the oversize slabs have the capacity to hold it?

I don't think it'll fit in any current slab.

It's a Weinberg consignment for August ANA. And depending on what the starting bid is I'm so bidding this up.

It had help getting out - but I'm guessing it had help getting made also. Charmy has one like this, and hers was certified by NGC with a label in a plastic cube, if I recall correctly. Not really a slab, but it displayed the coin.

That is quite interesting but I agree that must have been helped at every step of the way.

Brg, I think the government how more pressing issues than confiscating such items.

That is an epic error, I can't stop looking at that thing. I would love to see ngc slab that. So let's here the story, where did you get this monstrosity? And more importantly is it for sale?

Nick

Nick, I never said it should be a government priority.

I guess I just don't see a fascination with a blob of metal or why anyone would pay massive amounts of money for such a piece. Just my opinion... If you look through Charmy's pictures from Long Beach, she has pictures of this one and 2 or 3 others. One of the pictures shows Weinberg handling one of them with bare hands...apparently this is the norm? (shrug)

I wonder if mint employees made it?

mkman123, It was not made intentionally as errors such as this are an extremely common occurrence within the mint. The presses jamb if a miss-feed occurs during the course of normal operation and then need to be shut down until the press operator removes it. Now as an error like this is too large to make it outside the mint it's extremely rare within the collector realm.

This is one on the right in the picture of 3 that Charmy took I believe. I didn't actually make it to LB because we were behind in house so I was processing all week.

I think it would be cooler if it weren't so blatantly obvious that someone illegally smuggled this out of the mint. I saw a bunch of these in Charmy's post with Fred Weinberg. I'm surprised the government doesn't confiscate such items.

I agree 100%...I'm amazed !!

It's a really cool item that I would have no interest in owning, and that's probably due to the unnatural method of manufacture and release. Errors are supposed to be accidents that escape detection in my book, and this is not plausibly either.

It's a really cool item that I would have no interest in owning, and that's probably due to the unnatural method of manufacture and release. Errors are supposed to be accidents that escape detection in my book, and this is not plausibly either.

I feel exactly the same. Cool, but just scrap metal.

mkman123, It was not made intentionally as errors such as this are an extremely common occurrence within the mint. The presses jamb if a miss-feed occurs during the course of normal operation and then need to be shut down until the press operator removes it. Now as an error like this is too large to make it outside the mint it's extremely rare within the collector realm.

If this were extremely common, it would cut into the profitability and productivity of the operation. It may happen often enough, but I can't imagine that it would be extremely common.

If this were extremely common, it would cut into the profitability and productivity of the operation. It may happen often enough, but I can't imagine that it would be extremely common.

Well, suppose the mint only made 1 billion cents per year. If they ran round-the-clock for 365 days a year that's a little more than 2.7 million cents per day.

If it even happened once per 1 million cents, that would be 3 times a day. If it happened every 10 million cents, that would be once every 4 days. My point being, the definition of "extremely common" can be highly variable. Ultimately though, the thing that we can all be certain of is that there is no way these blobs of metal got out of the mint legally.

The issue is though that not all of the errors escape, particularly those of this magnitude.

True and hopefully this example escaped while smuggled in machinery being serviced outside the mint and not in an orifice as it looks like it would have been a real b'tch to pass :o

These type of errors have also never done anything for me even though there's obverse and reverse die caps in the center of the scrap petal. Thankfully just like Baskin-Robbins the Mints make many flavors of alternate errors. Personally I like die caps that were mint bag discoveries like this :)

zwgwic.jpg

These type of errors have also never done anything for me even though there's obverse and reverse die caps in the center of the scrap petal. Thankfully just like Baskin-Robbins the Mints make many flavors of alternate errors. Personally I like die caps that were mint bag discoveries like this :)

zwgwic.jpg

(thumbs u