• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach NEWP

21 posts in this topic

Hello All-

I just wanted to share this one with you-

The 1919-S has always been the 'thorn in my side' and my 'white whale' for FAR, FAR TOOOO long. :mad:

I had a MS 63 that I overpaid for and that was dipped out and it had a nasty strike-through error. I lost money on that coin, so that I could upgrade to a MS 64 that had only an average strike and the surfaces were badly impeded with dip residue and it had virtually no luster. I was fooled by the BAD images from the auction house and will likely NOT buy from that auction house again. I feared that I was buried in that MS 64 coin and I would never, ever be able to get my money back much less find another decent one. To make matters worse; I found that that MS 64 coin was originally a MS 63 that had been gradeflated by PCGS to a MS 64 and undeservedly so!!!! I finally sold that MS 64 a few weeks ago and, miraculously, I lost NO MONEY on it! :):grin:

Well, I finally found a real nice MS 64 19-S!! It has a sharp strike, great luster and, although dipped, it's still VERY unimpeded and very lusterous. Anyone who knows this series KNOWS just how bad this coin issue's surfaces have been simply ruined and messed with. To find a truly original one is like finding a unicorn with a 4-leaf clover hanging from it's mouth. So....to criticise it for being dipped is not realistic, just as long as the luster is 'all there'----THAT, in effect, is the tough and more practical challenge. This one's a keeper. IMHO. The head is just a bit flat (if you wanna get really picky) but otherwise the coin is a real GEM and is truly one in a million! :) The skirts, thumb, eagle's breast and luster are great. IMHO.

1919s6453112o.jpg

1919s6453112or.jpg

Thoughts/opinions? Thank You.

WF

Thank you all, so much, for the good comments. I guess that I should have left my comments out of my OP and just let you all judge her on your own. I DO like the coin, though, and it was evident in my OP, so it was hard for me to do so.

I enjoy hearing from each and every one of the members of this board and I respect the opinions from all members here. Thank You!

Please let me know if you see anything else about the coin +/- that has not been discussed, has been missed or is worth mentioning. Thanks.

You need to get your own photo of this ASAP. Then tell us what you think once it is in hand.

jom

You need to get your own photo of this ASAP. Then tell us what you think once it is in hand.

jom

I have no doubt about this coin. I just wondered what others thought.

Nice 19-S, and you were lucky not to have been burned with the old 19-S you

recently sold. It's a shame that you were nailed selling the first one. I also have

been in your shoes, thinking I was safe buying a well known TPG coin from a

reputable auction house - without seeing the coin in hand first.

I have used a couple of knowledgable collectors/ dealers to preview my coins

before I bid. Some of my best coins have been bought that way. I still like to

do my own bidding though.

Congrats again on the Newp.

jom

And while you are at it show us your fully struck 19-D in 64! :baiting:

:devil:

jom

Nice 19-S, and you were lucky not to have been burned with the old 19-S you

recently sold. It's a shame that you were nailed selling the first one. I also have

been in your shoes, thinking I was safe buying a well known TPG coin from a

reputable auction house - without seeing the coin in hand first.

I have used a couple of knowledgable collectors/ dealers to preview my coins

before I bid. Some of my best coins have been bought that way. I still like to

do my own bidding though.

Congrats again on the Newp.

Thanks, Mike! :) Using someone to look at a piece for you is a good idea, although, sometimes I don't like even using those people, either, b/c it's tough for an individual to know exactly what YOU particularly like, even if they are reputable and knowledgeable. Some auction houses have images that are either deceptive or uninterpretable....I now avoid these. The other auction houses and sites that have good quality images I have now learned to interpret well. :grin: So I feel relatively safe now.

What a beauty. Just gorgeous. Now show us your 64 21-S. ;)

jom

And while you are at it show us your fully struck 19-D in 64! :baiting:

:devil:

jom

Jom & RMA-

:idea: Maybe someday but not anytime soon!!! lol I'm workin' on it and, If I do, you guys will be first to know! :grin:

That coin may very well have avoided the dip. I think it looks nice.

Thanks, Tom! That's a good compliment coming from you. Don't know if it avoided the dip but it SURE is VERY lusterous, which is rare for this issue. :)

Looks like a nice example to me, though I don't know much about the series.

Thanks!

Sweet Walker ! That is one that should easily command a premium over and above the price for the grade.

It did and it will continue to.....Thanks!!

I like it for all the reasons you stated. Gorgeous example.

Thank You! :)

I like it a lot, and as you note, it is superior to many that I have seen for the issue. If I were in the market for one of these, I would have had interest in it too.

I appreciate it, Kenny! Glad you like it.

Holy cow! That's a beauty for 1919-S. WTG!

Lance.

Thanks, Lance!! :grin:

:applause:

Holy cow is right. I love it! Congrat's. MJ

Thanks MJ!!

Tremendous left hand

Mumu--I thought so, too!! ;)

Nice grab

Thanks, Ken :thumbsup:

She's got a nice thumb! (thumbs u

Hubala hubala!

lol Thanks, Ray!!