• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trying something new

10 posts in this topic

buying unopened proof sets

i found 2 sets of 1963 proof sets unopened one for $26 and one for $28 when i opened all coins are spotless (hard too find for that date) and both 1/2 dollar are accented hair. there is still little treasures out there.

im goin too send the best of each coins too NGC for grading. too start a 1963 sel made proof set.

and i think im goin too look for more unopened proof sets this weekend at the long beach coin show ( if they are at a good prices) or i will concentrate on my ms66rd 10s and 20s wheat.

next week i will give you my imput on the show and i hope this time is better than last year.

talk to you soon

patrick

See more journals by pgera3

Hey Patrick, nice find,did you mean 1964? The 1963 pf set 1/2 is a franklin and the 1964 1/2 is a kennedy which has the accented hair variety

Cool Finds and good luck with your submissions. Building a self made set is a great accomplishment! I wish I had more money to spend on grading as it is quite fun!

Beleive it or not there is an outfit called seized acquisitions that a friend of mine buys from and is getting a boatload of proof and mint sets unopened. He seems to think they are OK but I have not bought personally from them.

wheat

Be very careful purchasing unopened items. With old proof sets (flat packs that is) it is very easy to use a bit of steam to loosen the glue that sealed the envelope then lightly reapply glue to reseal them. Not to say that there aren't treasures out there, but the way to buy is in government sealed boxes which are FAR more expensive.

I was under the impression that the mint sets of the 50's and 60's were sent from the mint in envelopes that had glue but were not sealed. The glue was only "stuck" if the set had been stored where moisture came into play or someone had helped the glue become moist.. Is this true?