• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 1921 P$ properly graded - PCGS 65

29 posts in this topic

I wont post the grade to see what the consensus is. No cheating. I apparently have a tough time grading these.

21168o.jpg

21168r.jpg

The 1921 issue is the most difficult in the series for me to grade. Because of the high relief used, the issue is usually struck weakly, and I am often unsure how much to weigh the strike. Because of the weakness in Miss Liberty's hair, I would call this MS64-MS64+. I could, however, see a TPG grading the coin as high as MS65.

OK so theres been enough action to post the grade. Coin is PCGS MS 65

Looks like a weak 65 in the images.

This has been interesting; I think this is the largest grade spread that I have seen on a "guess the grade" thread.

On PCGS the spread is AU53 to 65

and i think every grade was hit except 60!

Either AU or MS-63 depending on what it looks like in person. Overall, an average 1921. The authentication companies seem to ignore strike quality.

Either AU or MS-63 depending on what it looks like in person. Overall, an average 1921. The authentication companies seem to ignore strike quality.

Exactly, and this is why it is so difficult to guess the grade of a certified coin of the issue (if the ultimate goal is to guess the grade that the TPG assigned to the coin).

I don't see the corresponding PCGS thread; did PCGS remove it? I would tread carefully if you like posting over there. They will ban you in a heartbeat if you criticize them for virtually anything.

if the grading demigogs deemed it ms65 and i cant grade coins from photos

i will assume it is ms 65 but an extremely low end ms 65.0 with so so eye appeal not good or bad eye appeal just so so

but a just made it 65 yes it is 65 but well just barely made it with at best average eye appeal

on another day in the pcgs grading room it would be a really high end ms 64+ in a ms 64 holder

I don't see the corresponding PCGS thread; did PCGS remove it? I would tread carefully if you like posting over there. They will ban you in a heartbeat if you criticize them for virtually anything.

Still there. I dont think I broke any rules. But I didnt break any rules last time I got banned either so....

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=857252&highlight_key=y

On 21s specifically? Or high relief coins in general?

I wont post the grade to see what the consensus is. No cheating. I apparently have a tough time grading these.

21168o.jpg

21168r.jpg

I vote that it's IMPOSSIBLE to grade a 1921 Peace dollar from 1 set of blurred photographs, though the cheek seems extra smooth.