• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklins must be the ugliest coin design ever

75 posts in this topic

I have been searching for a single toned franklin for my collection. How ever I can not get past the hideous design on even the most colorful coins.

What makes these so popular with some people.

I tend to like the design of them.

Franklin was a great statesman and they are SILVER COINS and NOT bullion or CLAD.

They are also mostly affordable.

A great set to put together for a beginning or an intermediate collector. IMHO

I think the worst design was the SBA or Eisenhower dollar.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the simplicity of the design and the person being honored.

I can agree with the ike.

Yes most are affordable but many toned go for very large premiums and the toning is usually unattractive.

You're right. I can agree that they don't seem to tone very well for the most part.

Proof cameos look awesome though.

Also, there's alot of PL MS coins out there that look great.

I think it's on par beauty wise with this one:

Oh, that's a low blow...

The Franklin is a very simple design, but I don't think its really ugly. And when its nicely toned with Full Bell Lines, it can be extremely attractive. Or was this post just intended to be a jab at me and a series you know I like?

1963NGCms66fblObvHR02_1.jpg

1963NGCms66fblRevHR08_1.jpg

I agree that the Franklin design is not my personal favorite either; I like the design of the Liberty Walking Half Dollar much better. You could say the same for the modern coinage honoring our past presidents; the Lincoln Memorial Cent, Jefferson Nickel, and Washington Quarters have a lot to be desired (in terms of the obverses at least).

Back to Franklins, as was noted by another posted, I find nice cameo and deep cameo proof Franklin Half Dollars attractive.

I think it's on par beauty wise with this one:

Oh, that's a low blow...

The Franklin is a very simple design, but I don't think its really ugly. And when its nicely toned with Full Bell Lines, it can be extremely attractive. Or was this post just intended to be a jab at me and a series you know I like?

I didn't start the thread. But if I have to spend three months mortgage payments to get one that's "beautiful" then it's the make-up that's making it beautiful -- not the design. You put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig. ;)

But, I will say, that 1963 you posted has insanely gorgeous toning -- the design itself is still blah IMO. The FBL designation doesn't really do much for me, but I don't specialize in the series. (shrug)

EDIT: PS Jason, this isn't the first time I have seen this exact same thread started. Are all of the other threads also personal attacks on you? Lighten up a bit man. We all deal with your jabs, but a discussion about a design on a coin minted before you were born has nothing to do with you.

I think the Franklin's as noted can be popular with newer collectors because it's a set that's achievable. They tend to tone very nicely, and the cameo proofs are beautiful because the fields go on forever.

Incidentally, the large field areas on MS Franklin's seem to tend to get chattered and as a result in older issues they are scarce in grades above MS 64. The FBL is more a product of production characteristics (by year, mint) than anything else in my experience.

Neat. Someone thinks a coin design is ugly.....simple....don't get it.

No one is forcing.

I think the SBA is ugly, but I still put one in the 7070 album.

Initially I didn't like the Franklin design, but then I think I matured a bit as a collector and came to appreciate the design (particularly the reverse). I don't like busy designs on coins, and I would have been fine without the eagle on the reverse, but of course it was mandated to have to be there.

They are fine untoned but they are nice when toned nicely.

I like when they tone somewhat uniquely.....like this "tiger striped" obv and rainbow rev...

1957dPCGSMS65FBLhalfdollartonedobv_b.jpg1957dPCGSMS65FBLhalfdollartonedrev_a.jpg

Or this rainbow obv

1957dPCGSMS66FBLhalfdollartonedobv_b.jpg1957dPCGSMS66FBLhalfdollartonedrev_b.jpg

But, not everyone likes them, and that is ok. I also don't like 3c nickels or some other designs...and that's ok too :)

I actually dig the Franklin Half Dollar design. Maybe it is because I was born in Philadelphia. They look good as bullion, untoned and together.

FranklinHalfDollarAlbumPartTwo08230.jpg

And they look better when fantastically toned.

FHD1958-DNGCMS67.jpg

I think the Franklin's as noted can be popular with newer collectors because it's a set that's achievable. They tend to tone very nicely, and the cameo proofs are beautiful because the fields go on forever...

I agree that the cameos can be stunning. That actually was the first set of Franklins I put together.

However, I've been collecting coins for around 25 years, so if you're calling me or people like myself newer collectors, I'd sure like to know who the older collectors are.

Saying that Franklins tend to tone very nicely shows a gross ignorance of the series. There are hundreds of millions of Franklins. The VAST majority, if they have even toned up, tend to tone up butt ugly (that's a technical term ;) ). A very small percentage tone up nicely, particularly on maybe 5ish date/mm out of 35. Roughly FORTY percent of all NGC starred Franklins are '58-D's. I challenge you to go to a major coin show and look for even 1 nicely toned 1950 P or D, 1952-D, 1953-D, 1960-D, 1961-D, etc. etc. The odds are strong that you won't find any of those date/mm attractively toned. You'll most likely find some nicely toned Franklins from 1956 - 1958, and maybe some out of nowhere coin from 1948 - 1952. I haven't been able to upgrade my set in a long time.

Pretty dang far from a hideous design...I hope your attempts at obtaining one example are futile. It would justly serve your attitude toward this series as a coin collector

Physics-fan3.14,

I think that is the best one you have in the set, just love the colors and the 52 is also right up there with it.

As with the rest of the Toned beauties in this thread, I guess I will have to start a toned set of Franklins now. Next time I get to a show I will have to start looking for them.

But I like Ike's also and have my set of them, none of them toned like these Franklins are.

But I like Ike's also and have my set of them, none of them toned like these Franklins are.

That's because the compositions are different. Franklin Half Dollars contain 90% silver whereas Eisenhower Dollars were struck in one of two alloys. One alloy is copper-nickel and the other is 40% silver.

The designs were a favorite of director Nellie Ross who had wanted to put Franklin on a coin in the early 1940s. She admired Sinnock’s earlier Franklin medal, and did not seem to understand the loss of character that would occur with coin relief. Ross resurrected the idea following Sinnock’s death in 1947. Gilroy Roberts did all the work except the initial plaster models. The ‘chicken nugget” on the reverse was the eagle as required by law.

The designs had been prepared in 1942 for a proposed half-dime or 3-cent piece.

I have been searching for a single toned franklin for my collection. How ever I can not get past the hideous design on even the most colorful coins.

What makes these so popular with some people.

Not ugly at all. They're popular because they are a fun series to collect, and a nice one for beginners and intermediates to collect as well.

So many series combinations one can put together, and relatively affordable.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the simplicity of the design and the person being honored.

I'm with you bud....

+2 (thumbs u

I bought my dad this Franklin for father’s day a few years back. He told me it reminded him of when he was in high school and would take a Franklin half dollar to school every day as his lunch money. It was a cool way for me to imagine this coins place in history.

dadsfranklin.jpg

DenverDave, if you keep posting Frankies like those two I might become a convert.

My main gripe with this design is that the obverse Franklin bust just has no relief. He needs more definition to the hair. And, well, it's too bad the reverse was last-minute modified to include that ugly eagle. :(

Yeah, I don't like them either really. Ike's don't do much for me nor do Washingtons. I don't any Franklins but I have Dansco sets of Ikes and Washington.

I'm sure these are pretty coins with the toning but you can't put "make up" on a pig.

jom