• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So take your best shot at the grade

19 posts in this topic

This is in a different holder but I have plans to send it in someday, lets see if anyone thinks it will grade higher than the current opinion.

dollar-1884o-obv-sm.jpg

dollar-1884o-rev-sm.jpg

I couldn't care less what the number on the slab is, I would call it an attractive 65. The notable exception, of course, is that long diagonal line on her cheek. What is that? If that is a scratch, this coin belongs in a details holder.

I couldn't care less what the number on the slab is, I would call it an attractive 65. The notable exception, of course, is that long diagonal line on her cheek. What is that? If that is a scratch, this coin belongs in a details holder.

+1

Agreed

This coin is an MS 65 in my opinion. The mark on the cheek is (at most) simple chatter and the resulting visual distraction is much greater in this photo than in hand IMO.

If I'm right, re-submission for an upgrade is not only suggested but encouraged.

+2

I agree that the mark/scratch on the cheek probably looks worse than it actually is. It doesn't appear very deep at all. It looks like a strong strike and if I had to take a guess, I'd say it's in an old fatty holder. Keep it as is :)

I like it. I'd also agree the scratch on the cheek looks a lot worse in the pic than in-hand!! Still looks like a strong 65 to me too!

I give it a MS 65 - I dont think the mark on the cheek would put it in a details holder. Dudley -maybe my eyes are going on me - where do you see a deep gouge ??

It's a gauge by comparison to the diagonal scratch. Directly across from the middle of the lips, on the line scratch. To me , that is enough damage to keep it from a 65 grade since it is on the main device. Not enough damage to " detail" grade the coin though. Just my opinion.

It's a gauge by comparison to the diagonal scratch. Directly across from the middle of the lips, on the line scratch. To me , that is enough damage to keep it from a 65 grade since it is on the main device. Not enough damage to " detail" grade the coin though. Just my opinion.

Dudley, are you talking about the absolutely microscopic small ding? You realize the image is 800 pixels square ...probably 400% of real life.

If that tiny ding is what keeps this Morgan from a MS65, then I'd say there are almost no Morgans that should be MS65s. (shrug)

125693.jpg.f352f49b1bb16c2e28c4b94ebfe8afe1.jpg

Nice looking coin. However, the mark on the cheek instantly draws your attention and would cause me concern if I was buying for my collection.

I agree that the mark/scratch on the cheek probably looks worse than it actually is. It doesn't appear very deep at all. It looks like a strong strike and if I had to take a guess, I'd say it's in an old fatty holder. Keep it as is :)

From the toning I'll say old ANACS holder and they graded it a 63 may have a shot at upgrade. (thumbs u

From the toning I'll say old ANACS holder and they graded it a 63 may have a shot at upgrade.[/b] (thumbs u

You know your old ANACS holder toining, thanks for all the guesses and comments. As mentioned the line across the cheek is very faint in hand, not sure how it got there but these large pro pics bring it out. The coin is in one of the old small ANACS holders MS64, I'll send it in someday when I'm ready to sell the collection in hopes of a 65, I figure its got a least a 50/50 chance of the upgrade.

Are you talking about the absolutely microscopic small ding? You realize the image is 800 pixels square ...probably 400% of real life.

If that tiny ding is what keeps this Morgan from a MS65, then I'd say there are almost no Morgans that should be MS65s. (shrug)

No, I think they are referring to what appears to be a long white line running perpendicular to the tick that you circled in red. This could be a scratch, or it could be an odd toning pattern (I have seen this in the past). If that is not a scratch on the cheek, then I see no reason why the coin shouldn't end up in a 65 holder. If that is a scratch, however, then the coin belongs in a details holder.

Are you talking about the absolutely microscopic small ding? You realize the image is 800 pixels square ...probably 400% of real life.

No, I think they are referring to what appears to be a long white line running perpendicular to the tick that you circled in red. This could be a scratch, or it could be an odd toning pattern (I have seen this in the past). If that is not a scratch on the cheek, then I see no reason why the coin shouldn't end up in a 65 holder. If that is a scratch, however, then the coin belongs in a details holder.

I was referring to Dudley's question. He was not talking about the long line (which looks like a simple luster break abrasion to me). He was mentioning a "small deep gouge". I was asking if he was referring to the really really small ding...as there is simply no mark I would classify as a "gouge" anywhere to be seen.